Rattling shifter at high rpm pulls

AnthonyA1234

Aug 17, 2020
Florida
Recently put a new t5z tranny, poly engine and tranny mounts, and a hurst shifter handle. My car has a pro 5.0 shifter.

Ever since the three new things mentioned above I notice during pulls after about 5k Rpms a metal rattling noise starts to come from the shifter and the whole shifter starts to shake around a lot.

Any ideas on what this could be?

• Sponsors (?)

Oh, and about that shifter rattle, stick the stock trans mount back on,
And make sure all the bolts and other fasteners are tight and the shifter and the tower are not rubbing on things.

Reactions: 1 user
Get underneath the car, grip them with both hands, and shake them back and forth to see if there's any play.
So a majority of the play I felt was the yolk going into the tranny twisting a small amount. It did this both in neutral and in gear, it can twist slightly in either direction. Is this normal?

As far as any other play goes, I could feel a small amount of play when pushing the driveshaft up and down. But it was hard to tell if this was the u joint or the yolk moving like I mentioned before .

What do you guys think

Recently put a new t5z tranny, poly engine and tranny mounts, and a hurst shifter handle. My car has a pro 5.0 shifter.

Ever since the three new things mentioned above I notice during pulls after about 5k Rpms a metal rattling noise starts to come from the shifter and the whole shifter starts to shake around a lot.

Did you have to drill out the Hurst handle to fit that shifter. Been contemplating adding that handle to my pro 5.0.

I just went ahead and ordered a new aluminum driveshaft. I’m hoping the cause of my issues is a worn out yolk, bad u joints, and an improperly balanced driveshaft. The new driveshaft should solve all of these things.

Same problem here since I replaced my stock gears with a “Z” specs set and all new bearings etc. To the back I hve all new from new Ford Racing DS with new U joints to everything new in the differential.
I don’t know about you but I have a thumping noise in neutral at idle that disappears when press the clutch pedal. None of those problems before with the stock gears…
I’ll be watching for anymore suggestions and I hope you resolve your problem, good luck!!!

Same problem here since I replaced my stock gears with a “Z” specs set and all new bearings etc. To the back I hve all new from new Ford Racing DS with new U joints to everything new in the differential.
I don’t know about you but I have a thumping noise in neutral at idle that disappears when press the clutch pedal. None of those problems before with the stock gears…
I’ll be watching for anymore suggestions and I hope you resolve your problem, good luck!!!
Is your driveshaft able to twist either direction a little or does it not budge at all? I’m having trouble finding out if that’s normal or not.

I know it’s not the tail shaft bushing because it’s brand new so that’s what made me think my old driveshaft yolk teeth are worn.

When I did my 373’s, I had a vibration at freeway speeds, which I knew would happen. I put a Ford Racing aluminum drive shaft in and that solved that problem.

I had replaced my transmission with a brand new Ford Z trans about the same time.

All this talk of aluminum driveshafts….. has anyone ever used the ones offered by JEGS or Summit? What’s the quality difference between them and Ford Racing?

All this talk of aluminum driveshafts….. has anyone ever used the ones offered by JEGS or Summit? What’s the quality difference between them and Ford Racing?
The one I ordered is the summit racing one as the ford racing one was out of stock everywhere else. A lot of the reviews on it said it had the ford racing part number on it. I’m pretty sure it’s just a repackaged ford part. I’ll let you know though.

• PlusOne
Reactions: 1 users