Read if you drive your stang in the snow

95mustang_gt

Mar 30, 2005
Wisconsin
Well this is going to be my first time driving the stang in the winter,until i get a beater.What do you guys do to keep the car from spinning.Just need some tips.I heard some ppl put sand bags in the trunk.What tires should i use in the back?

thanks
Jesse

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't put SAND in my truck persay, but something heavy should work.

I drive mine like is but have a system in back for a little weight. I have only been stuck once, but it was on pure ice.

It's not really what is on/in the car, but how you can handle it and know the limitations. Take it to a parking lot and practice situations you might be in and see how you can handle them, or will have to handle them.

BTW - it sucks. :D

Good "snow-driving" Mustang ......

Add 1 transfer case.
Add 1 Dana 44 axle assembly.
Add 6" suspension lift.
Add 6" body lift.
Add some 35x12.50's.

You're all set!

J/K man. We only have a couple of light snows a year ... so I can't really help, lol.

Definitely get some snow tires - or at least some all season tires. Make them narrow, 235 tops, but 215's would be better. With plenty of sipes - tons of sipes. A great all-season tire (if you're not in constant snow) is the Michelin Symmetry.

Shift early, and keep the revs low. Start in 2nd if you have a manual.

But think about this - you could pick up a fairly decent front driver for $1 to $2 grand and never have to worry about this again. Plus you won't be rusting up your 'stang.

Just drive it easy and make sure your tires are decent. Wieght in the trunk will help too.

Remember, mustangs have a trak-lok rear end so both tires will spin. This helps out tremendously with snow traction. Seriously, my stang would go better in the snow than my old F-250 in 2WD.

i don't drive it in the snow anymore but when i did, i just drove real slow and took corners a lot slower than i would normally. anytime i would see a possible ice spot i would just slow down and cruise through it in neutral. worked pretty good. i never had problems.

One thing you have to remember is NEVER, and I mean NEVER, stop on a hill when you need to continue up it at some point!!:D

I just made sure the steep hills were free and clear and got a running head start! Had to do this with my Lightning as well which was my daily driver.