Really Frustrated at Brake Calipers on my '97

It's been like this for the last month. I've had my cobra for only about four months now and when I had first got ahold of it, I knew the pads needed changing. After buying a (generic?) set of pads from autozone and turning both front and rear rotors then replacing all the pads, I've had this "clunking" that I can't get rid of from the front brakes. Since then, i've replaced the pins, all screw hardware and double checked the rotors for freeplay, but the D*mned things are still loose. I need someone to listen to it while driving down the road because feeling around isn't narrowing it down at all. Anyone else ran into this problem with the solution?

Also, I was told from autozone that brake rebuild kits don't exist because the car is too "new". Sounds like they just didn't have the kit at all.

• Sponsors (?)

You probably didn't put the spring clips on the pads. There is a spring clip that goes on each pad on the opposite end of the pin. These clips hold the pads securly in the bracket. You will always get a little "clunk" when you hit the brakes while you are backing up, but that should be it. I have bought the clips at Napa, so I know they are available. I am sure you could also get them from Ford, although they may only sell them with a set of brake pads. I have PBR calipers on my TA, which are from a third gen Camaro (1LE). They look slightly different then your Cobra calipers, but take the same brake pads and clips and could be interchanged. Brake lines mount in a different spot though.

Edit: I just went out and looked at my car. The spring clips go on the pads on the same side at the pin, just below it.

96WS6TA said:
You probably didn't put the spring clips on the pads. There is a spring clip that goes on each pad on the opposite end of the pin. These clips hold the pads securly in the bracket. You will always get a little "clunk" when you hit the brakes while you are backing up, but that should be it. I have bought the clips at Napa, so I know they are available. I am sure you could also get them from Ford, although they may only sell them with a set of brake pads. I have PBR calipers on my TA, which are from a third gen Camaro (1LE). They look slightly different then your Cobra calipers, but take the same brake pads and clips and could be interchanged. Brake lines mount in a different spot though.

Edit: I just went out and looked at my car. The spring clips go on the pads on the same side at the pin, just below it.

Spring clips....... :nonono: How could I forget.

When removing the old pads, I do remember them having clips on both ends. The pads just didn't come with any. I'll see what NAPA can dig up on them.

Thanks.

Boy is that a funny stiry i can relate to. I had just picked up my '97 out in cali last week and was driving her home. The P.O. had been nice enough to put in new brake pads and turn the rotors befor I picked her up. I hear this awful racket by the time I had her on the road for a while so I went over to see my buddy in Riverside that had built my Shelby and we threw her up on the lift....I'm thinking "oh God, loose K member...tranny parts.....oh man...WTF!!!!" Turns out it was those damn spring clips...LOL. I called the P.O. and he was sooooooo embarassed

Don't feel bad...I had one of the dang things come loose at Road Atlanta and the pin backed it self into the rim.Was getting all sorts of noise at about 125mph going into turn 1.I now carry spares of all the brake hardware.Yes they do make a rebuild kit but I have forgotten where I saw it