Rear Drum Brake Springs

rob289c

Oct 18, 2005
Please help...I replaced all springs, adjusters, shoes, wheel cyls on my '67. As I removed the old componants, I kept them as intact as possible so re-installation would be easy. Everything went together well but afterward, I notice that the larger (green) spring is on the front shoe on the left side and on the rear shoe on the right side. I'm thinking it's wrong on the right side. What also makes me think it's wrong on the right side is that it is holding the adjusting cable guide in place. Does anyone have theirs apart to verify this or pics of when they did theirs? All my manuals show only one side and not very good detail of the springs. Thank you in advance for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

I never found a picture that was ever the same. The most important thing is to make sure the spring is on the same pad on each side. So if the green spring is on the pad facing the front on the driver's side it needs to be on the front shoe on the passenger side. Which side is correct I do not know. The for assembly manuals show different pictures then the ford shop manual.

Looking at the Ford manual, there are three springs. Two are at the top on one anchor pin, one going to the primary shoe and the other to the secondary shoe. The third spring (larger one) is going from the top hole of the bracket that contact the star wheel of the adjuster to the primary shoe.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to get more verification before I accept the way I put them together. Maybe I should pull the drums off my GMC Jimmy to see how the other side does it! :shrug: