Rear end noise

JJHstang

5 Year Member
Sep 12, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
All of a sudden when driving over 35 a whinny howling noise started coming from the rear end of my 71 Mach 1.
When slow down uncer 35 to stop noise stops. Then when taking off once over 35 it starts up again.
I understand hard to determine without actually bearing but just looking for thoughts and possibilities,

• Sponsors (?)

0417F600-1E58-4DFA-99CC-3FDAB55E1A63.png
This will help with one type of rear end noise!
Gears that are not set right will have howling. A wheel bearing can sometimes also be heard grinding at parking speeds. With a bad bearing or gear pattern, unless you have tools to reset the lash when you replace the center section bearings, getting it diagnosed by a pro can save the hassle of replacing more parts after being stranded.

All of a sudden when driving over 35 a whinny howling noise started coming from the rear end of my 71 Mach 1.
When slow down uncer 35 to stop noise stops. Then when taking off once over 35 it starts up again.
I understand hard to determine without actually bearing but just looking for thoughts and possibilities,
hey man I have a 71 mach 1 two and I'm rebuilding my rear end currently it might have something to do with your bearing or gears you should look at them and make sure none of them are damaged cause my pinion bearing did not look good when i first started working on them

Thanks.
Mind ended up being strange. After I had my spring perches, upper control arms and strut rod bushings replaced I had a front end alignment (not done by the same mechanic). Different people working than I had seen before.
The noise started on my second timeout for a drive after the front end alignment. I went back to my normal mechanic to give him a ride. He didn’t have any ideas. He then put it on the lift to check it out. Couldn’t find anything wrong.
When he walked in front of my car he looked and asked me if I had the front end aligned. I said yes and he pointed out it didn’t look like it. Showed me that my tires were tilted. One in an one out. Said take it back to them and tell them that I told you to.
Took it back and the owners were working, took it in and apologized did a new alignment. Noise was gone. The only explanation was the tires were so far out of alignment caused the tires to fight the road and the noise traveled to the back.
Well who knows but the noise is gone.

Thanks.
Mind ended up being strange. After I had my spring perches, upper control arms and strut rod bushings replaced I had a front end alignment (not done by the same mechanic). Different people working than I had seen before.
The noise started on my second timeout for a drive after the front end alignment. I went back to my normal mechanic to give him a ride. He didn’t have any ideas. He then put it on the lift to check it out. Couldn’t find anything wrong.
When he walked in front of my car he looked and asked me if I had the front end aligned. I said yes and he pointed out it didn’t look like it. Showed me that my tires were tilted. One in an one out. Said take it back to them and tell them that I told you to.
Took it back and the owners were working, took it in and apologized did a new alignment. Noise was gone. The only explanation was the tires were so far out of alignment caused the tires to fight the road and the noise traveled to the back.
Well who knows but the noise is gone.
that's good i would have never guessed that I'm a new mechanic but what engine do you have