Rear glass window separation from convertible top.

LAFF

Enough to make my old Nipples hard
Jul 2, 2019
Chillicothe, Missouri
Don’t know how it’s gonna work out, but tonight my grandson and myself attempted to glue the bottom of the window to the bottom of the convertible top.
Started separately this Winter.
Just put some Duct Tap on it for awhile.
Stopped by an automotive glass shop that everyone said was the best on my way home from the VA in Leavenworth, Ks. Ask him if he could fix it. After all it was was just glued in to begin with. Told me no as he guaranteed his work, and wouldn’t guarantee it. Told him I didn’t care.
I had been online and people had suggested the 3M stuff and I told him that. He said it was okay but he had something better.
Went in and handed me a tube of stuff that he said was the best stuff he ever used. Said if it works to let him know.
After cleaning and preparing everything Gage and I went out to the garage and did it.
If it holds it—it has to be good as the fabric slot the window sits in is only about 5/8” deep.
I will find out Tuesday since I have to drive to the VA on Tuesday.

Attachments

• 605D045E-F20A-455F-B0B3-7CE0C4D01C35.jpeg
    605D045E-F20A-455F-B0B3-7CE0C4D01C35.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 18AF58F3-829B-4345-8747-4DE311304AAF.jpeg
    18AF58F3-829B-4345-8747-4DE311304AAF.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 123
  • F58D9F13-3F24-405A-8AA6-48CBCECBCFC3.jpeg
    F58D9F13-3F24-405A-8AA6-48CBCECBCFC3.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Sponsors (?)

Don’t know how it’s gonna work out, but tonight my grandson and myself attempted to glue the bottom of the window to the bottom of the convertible top.
Stopped by an automotive glass shop that everyone said was the best on my way home from the VA in Leavenworth, Ks. Ask him if he could fix it. After all it was was just glued in to begin with. Told me no as he guaranteed his work, and wouldn’t guarantee it. Told him I didn’t care.
I had been online and people had suggested the 3M stuff and I told him that. He said it was okay but he had something better.
Went in and handed me a tube of stuff that he said was the best stuff he ever used. Said if it works to let him know.
After cleaning and preparing everything Gage and I went out to the garage and did it.
If it holds it—it has to be good as the fabric slot the window sits in is only about 5/8” deep.
We have similar cars.....
DSCF0014.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Nice, thanks for sharing limp.

What is the name of the product\glue?

Thanks
This is the stuff I used.
Left the top raised partially for about 20 hrs to let it set good.
I think that it is going to work.

Attachments

• C7D46B9D-0C8C-45EC-9BD3-41D34E653637.jpeg
    C7D46B9D-0C8C-45EC-9BD3-41D34E653637.jpeg
    529.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 0EE864C0-5B81-4083-9E7C-1A00410C7112.jpeg
    0EE864C0-5B81-4083-9E7C-1A00410C7112.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 163
My father in law used that to glue the glass to his top on a Pontiac Solstice. It's the only stuff I've seen actually work. He fixed it about 4 years ago and the car sits outside. When he drives it the top is always down. Worked good.

My father in law used that to glue the glass to his top on a Pontiac Solstice. It's the only stuff I've seen actually work. He fixed it about 4 years ago and the car sits outside. When he drives it the top is always down. Worked good.
Glad to hear that.
I will driving it for about 120 miles tomorrow then I will see if it holds.
I really think it will as I’ve pressed all around it this afternoon and it seems that it is stuck pretty damn good.

Glad to hear that.
I will driving it for about 120 miles tomorrow then I will see if it holds.
I really think it will as I’ve pressed all around it this afternoon and it seems that it is stuck pretty damn good.
Watching this thread, so looking forward to hearing how it held up. I have the same problem, but along the top edge of the glass - the upholstery shop has already replaced it once before under warranty, but the replacement glass started to separate too after only a couple months. I'm convinced part of the problem is that the top seal area of the glass has always been exposed just below the opening in the top material. And now that it's a few years old and the material has begun to shrunk, it's even more exposed than before. Upholsterer says the exposure has nothing to do with it - but at least if the top of the glass was further underneath the top, I wouldn't see it or have as big a problem with leaks. Definitely will not be putting a Robbins cloth top on it next go around. Not at all impressed with the quality or fit, but at least they stood by their warranty so far.

Watching this thread, so looking forward to hearing how it held up. I have the same problem, but along the top edge of the glass - the upholstery shop has already replaced it once before under warranty, but the replacement glass started to separate too after only a couple months. I'm convinced part of the problem is that the top seal area of the glass has always been exposed just below the opening in the top material. And now that it's a few years old and the material has begun to shrunk, it's even more exposed than before. Upholsterer says the exposure has nothing to do with it - but at least if the top of the glass was further underneath the top, I wouldn't see it or have as big a problem with leaks. Definitely will not be putting a Robbins cloth top on it next go around. Not at all impressed with the quality or fit, but at least they stood by their warranty so far.

I a Zipper at the top edge—well hell—it’s probably glued in too.
I will tell you this—after it quit storming on me today and it warmed up when I got onto Interstate 29 I lowered the windows and had it over 85 mph for about 5 miles then slowed down to around the speed limit the rest of the way.
When I got to the VA I looked it all over and I don’t think that window is going anywhere. I guess I will find out in time how good it is, but for now I’m impressed.

Reactions: 1 users
I had to do something similar once. I ended up removing the back glass to do it on a table. I got some like 2200 psi glue, cleaned everything really good, put it in place and used wood and clamps and held it down for 24 hours. then used a razor blade to clean up the edges. worked great.

I a Zipper at the top edge—well hell—it’s probably glued in too.
I will tell you this—after it quit storming on me today and it warmed up when I got onto Interstate 29 I lowered the windows and had it over 85 mph for about 5 miles then slowed down to around the speed limit the rest of the way.
When I got to the VA I looked it all over and I don’t think that window is going anywhere. I guess I will find out in time how good it is, but for now I’m impressed.
Sounds good. And yes I have a zipper on mine too. The part that keeps separating is below the zipper, where the cloth is supposed to be heat sealed to the window glass. That seal keeps failing. Glad to hear your repair worked!

Sounds good. And yes I have a zipper on mine too. The part that keeps separating is below the zipper, where the cloth is supposed to be heat sealed to the window glass. That seal keeps failing. Glad to hear your repair worked!
Ya know—I was YouTube—on this site —everywhere I could think to look to figure out how to fix it.
Last Saturday I was just about to just order a new rear window that they advertise with the lower fabric panel.
I got to thinking about that tube of glue the man gave me.
Went to bed and thought about—what the hell try it.
Drank a few adult beverages and thought it some more Sunday afternoon.
Since it was just me, and 14 year old Grandson here—ask him what he thought.
Said “lets do it “.
We went out and I cleaned out the fabric channel the best I could, then we did a practice run. We both got inside—got our hands on top of where you could feel the window where it zips- got ahold of the fabric and pulled it together. It was staying together without any glue on it. Wasn’t going to stay, but I knew we could get it together.
Told him to take a break while I put masking tape over the white part of the lower top and got everything ready.
We just did a repeat of what we practiced.
It was staying together.
Had him go get his Mothers hair dryer and blow it across the outside of the seam while I inside of the car squeezing the top and bottom together right after he made a pass with it.
Like I said earlier—I tested out yesterday and today.
Yesterday it was around 85mph with the windows down, and today I know I had it over 100mph—don’t know exactly how fast as the speedometer only reads to 85–but when I got home I pressed down on the areas between the window and trunk.
It is good to go.
I don’t see why that wouldn’t work in your situation.
What do you have to lose?
Hope you get it figured out my friend :)

Man that sucks—hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction.

Glad to hear from you @LAFF . I always think about your build, and wonder how it’s going. How’s that Blueprint motor treating you?

Glad to hear from you @LAFF . I always think about your build, and wonder how it’s going. How’s that Blueprint motor treating you?
I have no complaints about the motor at all.
After we installed the new transmission the rear seal started leaking.
Called Blueprint—they talked to my mechanic and told him
The motor is great.
After I installed the new transmission the rear seal started leaking a few months later.
I called them and they talked to my mechanic. Told him to fix and didn’t charge me a dime. So their warranty is great too.