Engine Replacing A Heater Core

• Sponsors (?)

IS it worth it?

Hey i live in minnesota and drive my car in every season exept winter of course. but in the fall and spring it can still be cold. do you think it is worth me to do all this work to regain heat? cause it would be nece to get it back:D

A solid four hours is a good time to expect someone to do a heater core. Oh and I'm 95% sure you can use a 94-04 heater core, they are aluminum and have twice as many fins in them. The heat is alot better with it. I have a 98 heater box in my 88 and I get heat within a minute of the car running after it was stone cold.

I have a sn95 dash In my 93. I have to replace the evap for the A/C with the one from a fox. The dash is in the car and this is something that I am going to do during the hibernation months. Does anyone know how to get the evap out of either dash?
Posted via Mobile Device

A solid four hours is a good time to expect someone to do a heater core. Oh and I'm 95% sure you can use a 94-04 heater core, they are aluminum and have twice as many fins in them. The heat is alot better with it. I have a 98 heater box in my 88 and I get heat within a minute of the car running after it was stone cold.

thats good to know. I'd put money on the newer heater cores lasting longer too

the job is a pain in the ass. i did not find it to be as dreadful as its made out to be though. it took me like 3 hours my first time. granted, i do know my way around most of the bolts pretty decent.

it can be done with normal hand tools, its straight forward. no reason to be afraid of it.

heater core

Im removing my heater core as we speak. but I cant move the box out to get the back 2 screws. I losen the 2 nuts on the fire wall and the 3 bolts under the dash. removed the heater hose, and left the AC still on. I tryed pulling the heater box as much as i can but its no where near the much as i need to get to the rear screws. am i missing something? :shrug:

I changed the heater core in my 87GT years ago, i remember wishing i would have taken a pic of all the stuff i had to remove to get at it. I changed it while parked on the street in from of my house and boy was that a mistake!
After all was said and done I couldn't believe how inexpensive the core was and how ridiculously expensive labor is...but at least i knew why in the case of the hidden heater core.
Has anyone ever tried to make a simpler way to the "hack job" method? I mean incorporating a clean cut out and rivet system to aid in future exchanges?
Usually I only change the core once if at all with each fox i get but it would still be good to know if i had to do it again on the same car it would be a 20 minute process instead of 2-3 hours.
Like some previous people stated it can be done in 1.5 hours once you get familiar with it!

Here's what my ALLDATA says:
198793heatercoreinstruc.jpg

198793heatercore.jpg

Hope that helps.