Replacing Heater Core, Any Suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

plan on 4-6 hours of cursing. You have to drop the steering column, console, entire dash, and those two blind nuts on the back of the heater core box are a PITA to get to.

Make sure you put a reducer in the new heater core hose as it will extend the life of the new core. Also I highly recommend you leak test the new heater core before you install it.

You don't have to pull the whole dash. You can do the job with the dash in your lap, and if you cut the heater box and pry it open, you can remove the core and replace it, re-seal the box, and be done with it with somewhat less hassle. But no matter what, it's like they started with the bare heater core and then built the entire car around it. :leghump:ing PITA.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...-fox-heater-core-installation-guide-here.html

You don't have to pull the whole dash. You can do the job with the dash in your lap, and if you cut the heater box and pry it open, you can remove the core and replace it, re-seal the box, and be done with it with somewhat less hassle. But no matter what, it's like they started with the bare heater core and then built the entire car around it. ****ing PITA.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...-fox-heater-core-installation-guide-here.html

You would think afer 2 decades someone would have made a replacement heater core box with a removable cover. I agree you can cut open the box and reseal it, but that is kind of shade tree IMO.

You can remove all the bolts and pry the dash back on the passenger side without disrupting the entire thing.

I'd leave the evaporator alone, splitting the box open to get it out is a nightmare.

You would think afer 2 decades someone would have made a replacement heater core box with a removable cover. I agree you can cut open the box and reseal it, but that is kind of shade tree IMO.
Is it an a/c car? I have done a few in 86's. the non a/c cars,I think (its been a while)had bolts on the outside of the heater box where the core just slid out, you dident have to pull the dash. don't go for the cheap replacement. my brother replaced one only to find out after it was all back together that it was bad, and leaked...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414508356.895182.jpg

I know your pain how long was your job?