Rims rims rims - '96 GT 5-lug

Hey all,

So I tried posting in the SN95 forum, but that probably wasn't the right spot, lol.

So I've got an '88 Fox with '96 GT front spindles (5-lug), calipers, discs. The calipers have the 'bracing bracket' deal that makes clearance an issue on certain rims. I understand from reading around that the width of the front track increases by .96" on each side for a total front track with increase of almost 2". Not a big deal, right now I'm just looking for proper offset/backspace sizing that will fit for street use. My current setup is for track use, and my front weld rims rub the fender wheels on any suspension impact, and/or turning of the wheels.

So that's the real question: Based on my modified front end setup, what size rims can I run? It's be GREAT if I could match my rear 15" Weld rims (9"), but if not, I'll put new metal on all four corners.

Thanks all in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20190527_193955.jpg
    IMG_20190527_193955.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 393
  • Sponsors (?)

With regards to 96 spindles, the tie rod end arm moves down 0.96".

The actual track width moves 5mm out over the 94-95 spindles and 8mm over the fox setup.

Last edited:
It really depends what brakes you have. Do you have V6-GT brakes, or Cobra brakes, or aftermarket? if V6-GT, any wheel that will fit a 94+ v6 or GT will fit, usually 16" or bigger, Cobra brakes, you need a wheel that'll fit a 94+ cobra, usually 17" of bigger, although there exceptions. If you have aftermarket, you'll need to check with the mfg what wheels you need.

It really depends what brakes you have. Do you have V6-GT brakes, or Cobra brakes, or aftermarket? if V6-GT, any wheel that will fit a 94+ v6 or GT will fit, usually 16" or bigger, Cobra brakes, you need a wheel that'll fit a 94+ cobra, usually 17" of bigger, although there exceptions. If you have aftermarket, you'll need to check with the mfg what wheels you need.
Until the offset of the regular wheel makes it rub everything on the car because he has the wider track width spindles if I’m reading his post right .

As far as the calipers he needs to be clear on those too . Most 15 inch wheels will not fit in the front if you have the cobra stuff like you said without a spacer 94-04 v6-gt stuff isn’t an issue

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, back again, lol.
The spindles & calipers are '96 GT off a V8.
I'm currently running 4" welds up front. The reason they're rubbing on the top of the fender well is because I'm using a spacer so that the GT caliper's outer brace (that cast portion that reinforces the outer portion of the caliper, see attachment. Not my exact caliper but it gets the point across), it would bind with my rim without the spacer. That's mainly because the offset on that rim was originally perfect when I was running much smaller brakes on the track.

So basically, I don't want to use the spacer, and want to get a wheel with backspace/offset that will let me fit it in close to factory.

Does that clear things up a little? @trebor3170 says anything that'll fit on a 94+ will plug in there. If that's the case, that'd be great. Just want a weld wheel knockoff to approximate the rears and get my ass back on the road!

Attachments

• brakes.jpg
    brakes.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 356