Rolling fender lips?

69clark

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Ravena, NY
Anyone have or know some one that has a tool to roll fender lips that would let me borrow or rent it for a weekend? I almost think Dan (95riosnake) might have one but can't remember. I am trying not to spend $250 on buying one to use once.

• Sponsors (?)

There has to be a less expensive way then buying the tool. Cant you mask off lip and the outer fender around it and gently caress it with a rubber mallet? Why dont one of yall try it out and let me know how it goes?!

Every person that I have known to do this without a tool has ended up with dents/wrinkles in their sheet metal and flaking paint, and they have tried it many different ways. Some have used hammers, others have cut the fender lip into little pieces and tried to tap each on down... none of them were 100% sucessful.

As Paul mentioned, the guy that rolled mine used a small wooden bat get them in before paint. They feel pretty smooth and gave me a lot more room. I'll try and get pics up soon.

I read somewhere that to keep the paint from chipping when you're rolling the lips, you can use a heat gun to heat up the fender and the lip a little to give the paint more flex.

I asked the local fab shop what they charge to do this, and if they have the tool. They told me they do not roll fenders because you will have distortion in most cases. What they do and have done for many years is cut the majority of the lip off with a cut-off wheel, then a little paint on the edge.
Just an idea
Stan

+1 on the heat gun (Be careful!!! No boiled/burned paint allowed!)
+1 on the ball bat.

I don't like the "leave a little lip, after grinding". (Panel ends up weak and flimsy AND it leaves a nice serrated edge to cut the tire, if it does touch. Ask me how I know.)

Really though, any way you choose to do it can end badly. You are going to end up with at least "mini tubs" in the Pace Car anyway, aren't you? Some paint might be necessary for that, anyway.

How about 5 of us buy the tool and then spend $15 to ship to the next person. Whoever keeps it in the end spends the most.

Don't do it without a tool, but keep in mind that a tool job might not be perfect either. It is kind of a risk either way.

last time i checked for that tool on ebay it was only like 60 or 80 bucks...but you have to heat up the fender at the spot with a heat gun so it wont crack the paint...its supposed to make it more plyable and bend instead of cracking...Super Street actually had an article on this...it was both the bat and tool...pros and cons...