Runs really rough - Code 212

• Sponsors (?)

All of this talk of a better tuner and ECU are great but you have 12 inches of vacuum at idle. Until you fix that problem, you’re just chasing your tail with everything else. You should have 16-17 inches of vacuum. That fuel regulator is very sensitive to low vacuum at idle, and it’s probably the reason why you have a very rich mixture and sooty plugs likely. Maybe you should try to fix that first and see how it runs before you start changing everything else. Just an idea
Yea, I'm just going step by step. I've smoke tested the whole intake system and fixed all the leaks I could find. I'm just not sure where else to look. Since I know I need an ECU (or tune) to run this combo, it seemed like the next logical step. I'm open to suggestions if you have any thoughts on what I should do next.

I suppose I could smoke test it again to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'm just learning as I go.

I had a very simular problem, and these two guys who keep offering help are the reason my problem is resolved. I also had very low vacuum, and I also smoke tested my system, and I did find a few problems. But, there were other vacuum leaks: 1. The vapor canister valve leaked vacuum. 2. The TAB/TAD valves both leaked vacuum. None of that showed up in the smoke test. But now I have a good 16-17” and it runs great.

I also kept searching for an unknown problem, instead of dealing with the low vacuum. But once I stop searching for another problem, I was able to fix it. And, you have a cam that you don’t know the effects it’s having on the engine. I just would try and completely eliminate any vacuum problems, because we know these setups are very prone to them.

I’m sure the solution is just around the corner.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a very simular problem, and these two guys who keep offering help are the reason my problem is resolved. I also had very low vacuum, and I also smoke tested my system, and I did find a few problems. But, there were other vacuum leaks: 1. The vapor canister valve leaked vacuum. 2. The TAB/TAD valves both leaked vacuum. None of that showed up in the smoke test. But now I have a good 16-17” and it runs great.

I also kept searching for an unknown problem, instead of dealing with the low vacuum. But once I stop searching for another problem, I was able to fix it. And, you have a cam that you don’t know the effects it’s having on the engine. I just would try and completely eliminate any vacuum problems, because we know these setups are very prone to them.

I’m sure the solution is just around the corner.
I can see where that would not show up on a smoke test. Could I just disconnect the cannister and the entire smog system and plug the lines to test it?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user