Sad news....

Adams91LX

Dec 9, 2003
Plano, TX
Seriously... i smashed my car this weekend in an autocross event...

It makes me sad and I dont really want to talk about it.

anyway...

I found an empty shell roller 80 Notch Ghia... I want to strip what I can out of my coupe... my motor is fine, swap a 5 speed in, and take my 88 TC rear end into the 80... So how hard is it going to be to put my original 5.0 EFI into the notch... it is completely bare, but it was a 6cyl car originally... can I take my motor mounts, pick up 5spd mounts and use my aluminum driveshaft and everything??? I am just wondering what will and what wont fit into the new shell?? The shell is missing front fenders and front bumper, but has all the glass and doors and trunk, comes with 16x7 ponies, front and rear suspension and is only 250... is that a pretty good deal?

Thanks in advance... it was a shi**y weekend.

• Sponsors (?)

You will also need the complete wire harness, new fuel lines and fuel tank or at least a pump setup. The 80 also does not have the air box hole. SVT32DOHC is the dude to ask cause project Hack Job was an old carb coupe converted to EFI.... although it was a complete Modular swap but most of the basics for the swap are the same. :shrug:

$250 is a great deal as long as the body is straight.

So sorry about yours though. Any pics of it after the accident? Sorry, just curious as to how bad.
How about yourself? You ok?

You will also need the complete wire harness, new fuel lines and fuel tank or at least a pump setup. The 80 also does not have the air box hole. SVT32DOHC is the dude to ask cause project Hack Job was an old carb coupe converted to EFI.... although it was a complete Modular swap but most of the basics for the swap are the same. :shrug:

Yeah I'll be pulling everything, interior, dash, carpet and everything in the engine compartment, minus my a/c... I need a new radiator, so I can just cut a hole for the airbox, and the fuel lines and tank can they be swapped directly from my 91 to the 80?

-a

oh man, sorry about your car. I can't imagine how that feels. If you're starting with a complete car to swap into the roller then you're golden. As long as you have the complete wiring harness and everything it should be smooth sailing. Take your time and you'll end up with a sick 4 eye! :nice:

oh man, sorry about your car. I can't imagine how that feels. If you're starting with a complete car to swap into the roller then you're golden. As long as you have the complete wiring harness and everything it should be smooth sailing. Take your time and you'll end up with a sick 4 eye! :nice:

What about taillights? Can i use my current 93 cobra lights? And what about the headlight wiring harness?

You will have to cut and modify your taillight panel, to use the Cobra tails. 79-82 had a different stamping. You can make a template from the LX taillight panel. You'll have to modify the headlight harness as well. As mentioned above, should be easy with a complete donor.

I've got a 79 Stang it used to be a 4cylinder n the guy that had it before swapped a 5.0 in it but never said anything bout changing the k member but I put a hood from a 91 on mine n a gt 91 front bumper on mine n it all fit pretty gud I put a dash from a 90 Stang in it to it looks pretty kewl but I've been thinkn bout goin efi

I've got a 79 Stang it used to be a 4cylinder n the guy that had it before swapped a 5.0 in it but never said anything bout changing the k member but I put a hood from a 91 on mine n a gt 91 front bumper on mine n it all fit pretty gud I put a dash from a 90 Stang in it to it looks pretty kewl but I've been thinkn bout goin efi

4 cylinder, V6 and V8 k members are the same, its the inline 6 k member thats different

save yourself the trouble of changing headlight wiring, etc, and keep it a 4 eye...jump to an 82 GT, 84 GT or 85/86 GT nose it will look wicked on the notch

Poor '79... :nonono:
4 cylinder, V6 and V8 k members are the same, its the inline 6 k member thats different

save yourself the trouble of changing headlight wiring, etc, and keep it a 4 eye...jump to an 82 GT, 84 GT or 85/86 GT nose it will look wicked on the notch
+1 It's a PITA. Ask me how I know. :fuss:

Yeah... money is going to be kinda tight... I will have to pick up a new set of fenders and a hood to match, as well as (hopefully) an 85 or 86 gt... what about the mouldings? will they line up... I just kinda wish there was a full list of everything that will and wont work. I want to swap my 1/4 windows over, because I like them much better than the pre 87 1/4's. There is a K-member close to my house for 50 bucks. I'll post pictures of the carnage later... there was another car that wrecked about 5 minutes after I did on the same corner, he's been driving SCCA for 5 years... So while I still feel stupid, I feel a little better knowing that I wasn't the only one...

Anyway... I am hoping to have the new coupe up and running in a month. I have lots of help around here... so hopefully it'll go pretty smooth... I'll start a thread after I pick up the shell.

Peace.

Yeah... money is going to be kinda tight... I will have to pick up a new set of fenders and a hood to match, as well as (hopefully) an 85 or 86 gt... what about the mouldings? will they line up... I just kinda wish there was a full list of everything that will and wont work. I want to swap my 1/4 windows over, because I like them much better than the pre 87 1/4's. There is a K-member close to my house for 50 bucks. I'll post pictures of the carnage later... there was another car that wrecked about 5 minutes after I did on the same corner, he's been driving SCCA for 5 years... So while I still feel stupid, I feel a little better knowing that I wasn't the only one...

Anyway... I am hoping to have the new coupe up and running in a month. I have lots of help around here... so hopefully it'll go pretty smooth... I'll start a thread after I pick up the shell.

Peace.

If you can locate a 79 Pace Car/80-81 Cobra/82 GT nose, you need to change nothing else. The hood and moldings all match 100%

If you get an 83/84 (pref 84 GT with fog light valence) nose, the moldings will match up but the hood wont. You will need an 83-86 hood.

If you get an 85/86 nose, you will need an 83-86 hood and 85-86 moldings.

Fenders will match up on all years, all you will need is the fender extensions that correspond with the nose that you choose.

If you end up with an 83 GT nose (no foglight valence) you do not need fender extensions as the 83 did not use them. (early model year 84's were identical to 83's, but they quickly went to the much sexier fog light valence bumper)

If you are definitely swapping to the 87+ quarter windows, I recommend going to the 85/86 nose and moldings as the overall package of those years just "goes" better with the newer windows. Also know that when upgrading the 1/4 windows, you will want to change the belt moldings and mirrors on the doors to 87+ spec for a seamless transition.

Or just leave all that alone, get the 4 eye nose/hood/moldings you like best and slap the right paint job on it and have yourself one MEAN notchback.

(see how much stuff I listed to be changed when converting something and this is on a car that is assumed to be staying a 4 eye! imagine how long this post would be if it was undergoing a COMPLETE and CORRECT conversion!!!)