Saleen (stoptech) 14" brake kit clear the 18" TQs?

Mr_Q

Founding Member
Nov 5, 2002
Burbank, CA
I have the stock 18" Torque Thrust style wheels on my Shelby GT and am wondering if there's enough clearance. Anyone know off hand?

Saleen's site says no but they don't go on to say if it's a circumference issue or a width. They just want you to buy their 20" wheels. :rolleyes:

If it's a width then spacers might do the trick. Plus get me a slightly wide stance.

• Sponsors (?)

I have the stock 18" Torque Thrust style wheels on my Shelby GT and am wondering if there's enough clearance. Anyone know off hand?

Saleen's site says no but they don't go on to say if it's a circumference issue or a width. They just want you to buy their 20" wheels. :rolleyes:

If it's a width then spacers might do the trick. Plus get me a slightly wide stance.

There is a template on Stoptechs website you can print out and check. I am fairly certain that even with a spacer stoptechs will not fit under your stock 18" wheels. The stop tech calipers are just to tall and long. Of coarse I'm assuming these are the 4 pistons right? 6 or 8's are out of the question for sure under stock 18's.

I almost guarantee the caliper will hit the spokes. I upgraded to brembo 4 piston calipers and they needed about on inch more spoke clearance and I had the same wheels as you. Stoptechs are also a fixed caliper with pistons on both sides of the rotor unlike the stockers. This design requires more clearance on the outside of the rotor. Shelby razors will clear and look cool on your shelby.

I also considered spacers like yourself but to get them pulled out one inch the wheels will stick out of the front fenders and even if you would still want to do this the cost of spacers and longer studs can add up quick.

I almost guarantee the caliper will hit the spokes. I upgraded to brembo 4 piston calipers and they needed about on inch more spoke clearance and I had the same wheels as you. Stoptechs are also a fixed caliper with pistons on both sides of the rotor unlike the stockers. This design requires more clearance on the outside of the rotor. Shelby razors will clear and look cool on your shelby.

18" Razors or 20" I don't want to run 20s on my car, especially for track.

I know this is rather odd the lack of BBKs for 18" wheels. They really think we want to run 20s at the track?!?!

American Thunder run 18x10s so there HAS to be a version out there from some one.

For now I am adding to my brake mods some DBA4000 rotors. They look be pretty well reviewed and I shall test this at California Speedway's ROVAL end of Sept. :)

What big brake kit has the most compact and fittable caliper? I got FR500's that apparently can't fit anything except stock brakes I'd like some alternatives if at all possible.

I know this is rather odd the lack of BBKs for 18" wheels. They really think we want to run 20s at the track?!?!

American Thunder run 18x10s so there HAS to be a version out there from some one.

For now I am adding to my brake mods some DBA4000 rotors. They look be pretty well reviewed and I shall test this at California Speedway's ROVAL end of Sept. :)

I believe Baer and Steeda both make a big brake kit that will fit under 18" wheels.

Edit:

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_front_brake_kit.php - > Shown under a set of there 18" Ultralite wheels.
http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12322 -> Gt500 Brakes (Brembo) Some people have been able to get them to fit under stock 18's with spacers. Search google I think there are a few images there.
http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15308 -> One of the most compact if not thee most compact caliper's are AP Racing.

DRI Is a sponsor here right? ;)

I have seen 20 inch razors clear, The spokes will clear on the 18s but the clearance of the inside of the wheels I dont know. I didnt want to run 20s either so to be on the safe I bought the GT4 wheels from American Muscle. They are about 4 lb lighter each compared to the 18' stockers, and have plenty of clearance.

I fitted the Roush big brake kit which is also manufactured by Stoptech, but to get it to fit with my stock wheels (18" Bullitts) I had to fit 1" spacers. (See Pics)

I bought the spacers from Welcome to TC SPORTLINE ONLINE*** and the quality is awesome. They are hub centric and wheel centric, so there is absolutely no question of any alignment issues. They have their own studs pre-fitted, so you use your own studs to mount them.

I actually fitted them front and rear, just to keep everything looking uniform, and you would never know. The stance of the car is just perfect and the wheels do not protrude outside the arches.

BTW, if you do go for the Stoptech's, change the pads to Hawk Performance Ceramic, (I did) as the brake dust will drive you crazy!:D

Mustangpics005.jpg

Mustangpics006.jpg

Mustangpics008.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

AtlanticSportsCars2008028.jpg

AtlanticSportsCars2008027.jpg

Because i have a Saleen Big brake kit (same as stoptech and roush) I got for a great price. I'm trying to find how I can install those keeping both my current wheels or if getting the GT500's will fit.

Walter, give stoptech a call. They have the templates, but they are also pretty good at keeping track of which more popular wheels fit.

It looks like increased backspacing on these wheels kills brake clearance, it was never this much of a problem with the SN95 BBKs.
Dan