SD to MAF Ford racing way

kornchild4life

Mar 30, 2005
islip, ny
I know its a dumb question but I'm a little confused, has anyone used the Ford Racing Mass Air Conversion kit on their car? If have can you clear this up for me, I've been reading with do it yourself conversion how u have to cut n rewire a few wires, with the FMS-M-9000-A51 kit is it complete n i dont need to rewire it just put it together n go or is there more i have to buy then just that? Thanks :SNSign: in advise for the help hopeing to get the MAF converison started within the next month or so :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

There really isn't a good reason to go with the Ford racing kit. You can go with used parts for a lot less money. Yes there are a few wires to cut and splice, but from what everyone says, it's not that bad to do (I haven't done it yet...).
I've also seen a company out there that makes a conversion harness. Here's an ebay auction describing what I am talking about:
ebay auction
Personally, I wouldn't spend the $$ on the Ford Racing kit.

MASS air conversion instructions from http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html FREE
A9L (5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150
A9P (Auto or in a pinch, 5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150
70MM MAF from 94-95 Mustang GT - $40-$70
MASS Air wiring harness kit $30-$85

The whole thing is probably less than $300 using junkyard parts.

A9L computers are 5 speed only
A9P computers are automatic, but will work with a 5 speed.

Conversion Harness kits & parts
http://www.mass-air.com/
http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=54

If the idea of moving & soldering wires scares you, here's a list of compatible Mass Air wiring harnesses.

Copied From bbunt302

Just for reference, here's a list of all the compatible years:

89 harness should work for 86-89 as long as you're using mass air.
90 harness will only work in a 90. (B/c of air bags and dual dash connectors)
91 through early 92 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under driver's seat)
Late 92 through 93 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under the hood)

Computers from 89-92 are all the same. Look for the A9L sticker on the back cover for a 5 speed that matches your requirements. Example: E9ZF 12A650 AA" with the A9L code.

"6. VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNALS
These signals are required for cruise control and as stated earlier, some have reported stalling problems on cars not equipped with cruise so avoid the head-ache and just do it. These will also generate an error code in the EEC if not installed. These signals come from a sensor that plugs into the transmission. The easiest place to tap into them is behind the driver's side kick panel. There is an 8 pin connector cable which runs back to the driver's seat, across the floor under the seat then back towards the front of the car and then goes through the transmission hump to the sensor. You will need to splice into the orange/yellow wire. The other end of this signal needs an EEC pin attached and this gets inserted into the EEC connector into position 6. You need to splice into the dark green/white wire for the other connection. The other end of this signal needs an EEC pin attached and this gets inserted into the EEC connector into position 3. Refer to figure 2."

This is what confuses me, do I need to put CC in or is this way bypassing it?