SERIOUS HELP NEEDED

dude496

Jun 18, 2006
Sorry in advance for the fact that everytime i post, i have a problem...but they just keep happening...

Little background...ever since i bought the car 2 months ago, i have always had a few major problems. 1. fuel pressure regulator causing checking engine light to come on after heavy accleration(should be fixed now). 2. pinging during accleration (now fixed) 3. transmission slipping when WOT from 40, shifting into next gear...acts like its hitting rev limiter or just not shifting...

My problem area currently is under the third problem...transmission problems.

I bought the car used with 16,500 miles...its a 04 mustang gt AODE with a procharger 8# p-1sc kit on it.

I've had problems with the tranny since day one. Actually got to the point where i was burning fluid and the dealership supposedly rebuilt the tranny. After they rebuilt the tranny, i told them the same problem was still there...they blamed it on the computer chip. Well i had my car at the tune shop for the last few weeks dealing with problem number 1. They finally fixed the problem with that...they had to install a MAFIA...what the heck is a MAFIA??? I know what a MAF is, but whats a MAFIA?

Went today to finally pick up my car...i go for a test drive and damn the car is running strong...but i hear a really funny noise....sounds almost like a buzzing noise. While driving it, i think its the supercharger. We get back to the tune shop, and i have the owner take a look at it. He popped the hood and reved the engine from the throttle cable...can't hear it from there and the car is in park. I went down under the car while he was revving it, and the buzzing noise was defiantly there. So it looks like the torque convertor is screwed.

Now comes to the reason i need serious help. Dealership never fixed the problem...how do i go about trying to force them into fixing it? When i bought the car,it had a 30 day warranty and the tranny rebuild was covered under it. Obviously they never fixed the original problem. I am thinking about threatining with the better buisness bureua and also getting a lawyer...but would like some advise before i go that route.

Also, if for some reason i am S.O.L. is there any shimming involved in replacing the convertor? or is a one for one swap? Also how much would a replacement convertor cost? I do eventually plan on upgrading the tranny, but for now i think the best route would be to just put a stock one in it.

All advice would really be appreciated.

THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

First thing to do is take it to a good transmission shop and get the exact problem diagnosed and an estimate of cost to repair.

At this point I do not think you even know what is actually wrong.

Also, it has a 4R70W not an AODE.

How many miles are on the car now?

One of the problems with automatics and superchargers is how easy it is to do WOT shift into overdrive under boost, a very bad thing...

Not sure what you mean by shimming the torque converter....
If you end up getting a new one, don't even think about getting the 'performance' ones that are $80-$100. They are total crap. We started with a 3500 stall performance TC that was $110 shipped off of Ebay in a Cougar I am working on, and that lasted barely a month. Now, 3rd time having the trans in and out again, we have our new $500 TC in, and it feels a million times better. I'm not saying go spend a bajillion dollars on a new TC, just don't skimp out on something that's damn hard to swap in. Also, while your trans is being investigated, if you end up having a shop do the work, see if you can have a little j-mod action set up!

Kilgore Trout said:
First thing to do is take it to a good transmission shop and get the exact problem diagnosed and an estimate of cost to repair.

At this point I do not think you even know what is actually wrong.

Also, it has a 4R70W not an AODE.

How many miles are on the car now?

One of the problems with automatics and superchargers is how easy it is to do WOT shift into overdrive under boost, a very bad thing...

UMM...did you actually read my post? This problem has been there since i bought the car...returned during 30 day warranty to fix, and was not fixed.

I do know whats wrong, its definatly the torque convertor...and yeah car has a billion other problems....fuel pressure regulator problems, fuel pump, tune issues, this new one the MAFIA thing...

Hell from the begining i admitted that i don't know whats wrong...i.e. why i posted on here to ask those that know. I've been a volkswagen guy for many years now, things are very different from what i'm used to.

4R70W is the same thing as AODE, last i checked....and also since its a 04, it might be a 4R75W, they changed to that tranny for the 04.5

And miles on the car currently are at around 18k...bought the car with 16,500 miles and problem has been there from the a few days after i bought the car.

And can you explain the WOT to overdrive issue...really curious about this one.

i definatly do not want to go the stall converter route...this car is my daily driver.

I know this question has been asked a million times, and i have read up on how to do the j mod...but what does it do, and how does it help?

01Steeda said:
just wondering.. why would that be a bad thing?

not saying it isnt, just wanting to kow why?
i've heard the overdrive bands in the trans are weaker than the others. i'm not sure on this one, just what i've heard. makes sense though

and i've never heard of a 4r75w:shrug:

Shiroelex said:
Not sure what you mean by shimming the torque converter....
QUOTE]

Does the torque converter have to be shimmed like how a starter, clutch or diff has to be? or is it a plug and play....rip the old one out, and put the new one in

the tourqe converter is not shimmed.. ford starters are not either.. GM starters are shimmed on some models but no fords are.

the converter is pretty easy to do.. all you do is remove the transmission ( easy on our cars) and pull the old one off install new one and back up with the trans.

Your trans problems might be in the tune or trans electronics.. remember modern automatics are electronic controled. has it thrown any trans codes?

I'm guessing they are referring to the MAF which in the newer models; 02' and later I believe has the IAT sensor built in...put them together in a stupid acronym and you could end up with MAFIA(T)
Just a thought.

I was reading through, and was wondering, what kind of buzzing sound was this?? Did it escalate when the throttle was pressed?? Not to sound like a d-ck, but why do KNOW that it's the TC??

If you want legal advice, PM me, I can throw some your way regarding the Warranty work..

JT

A MAFia is a device that plugs into the wiring harness in conjunction with the stock MAF and allows the control and regulation of voltage above and beyond the stock limitations. It's sometimes also called a MAF extender.

mafia.gif

As for getting your tranny fixed under warranty on a used '04 Mustang with a Procharger...

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
As for getting your tranny fixed under warranty on a used '04 Mustang with a Procharger...

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

U.M.

well, if the dealer sold it to him w/ the procharger on it, do you think he should be able to get them to put the car in working condition? That has to do with the dealer warranty, not the Ford warranty. But I see what you're saying - going into the dealer after a procharger install and demanding they rebuild your transmission for free :rlaugh:

stangGT97 said:
well, if the dealer sold it to him w/ the procharger on it, do you think he should be able to get them to put the car in working condition? That has to do with the dealer warranty, not the Ford warranty. But I see what you're saying - going into the dealer after a procharger install and demanding they rebuild your transmission for free :rlaugh:
Even if he bought the car from Ford with the Procharger already installed. He only received a standard 30-day warranty on the vehicle which has now expired. He brought it in once for a transmission problem within the 30 day period which they evidently fixed well enough that he accepted the vehicle back. Now it's out of warranty, and it's a modified car. Unless the dealership where he bought it is really cool I'm betting they're going to tell him to piss off.

U.M.

dude496 said:
UMM...did you actually read my post?
Yes

dude496 said:
This problem has been there since i bought the car...returned during 30 day warranty to fix, and was not fixed.
There's no work like warranty work :shrug:

dude496 said:
I do know whats wrong, its definatly the torque convertor...and yeah car has a billion other problems....fuel pressure regulator problems, fuel pump, tune issues, this new one the MAFIA thing...

Hell from the begining i admitted that i don't know whats wrong...i.e. why i posted on here to ask those that know.
Which is it dood?

dude496 said:
I've been a volkswagen guy for many years now, things are very different from what i'm used to.
Explains much...

dude496 said:
4R70W is the same thing as AODE, last i checked....
Where did you "check"? A VW forum? :scratch:

dude496 said:
and also since its a 04, it might be a 4R75W, they changed to that tranny for the 04.5
That is news to me, never heard of such a thing...

dude496 said:
And miles on the car currently are at around 18k...bought the car with 16,500 miles and problem has been there from the a few days after i bought the car.
Its a shame that the car has had such a hard life and been abused so...

dude496 said:
And can you explain the WOT to overdrive issue...really curious about this one.
Do a search.

dude496 said:
4R70W is the same thing as AODE, last i checked....and also since its a 04, it might be a 4R75W, they changed to that tranny for the 04.5
Kilgore Trout said:
That is news to me, never heard of such a thing...
The 4R70W is an AODE transmission (AODE = Automatic Overdrive Electronic) and yes, in 2004 the 4R70W was replaced in some vehicles by the 4R75W which handles 50 more ft lbs of torque along with a few other updates.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Even if he bought the car from Ford with the Procharger already installed. He only received a standard 30-day warranty on the vehicle which has now expired. He brought it in once for a transmission problem within the 30 day period which they evidently fixed well enough that he accepted the vehicle back. Now it's out of warranty, and it's a modified car. Unless the dealership where he bought it is really cool I'm betting they're going to tell him to piss off.

U.M.

Yeah thats kinda what im thinking the dealership is going to do. And ya i think im going to be SOL on this one. Only way i think i might have a fighting chance is that the same problem has been there since the begining.

And to clarify on the "buzzing noise"...it happens anytime i am about half throttle and up. The reason why i'd put money on it being the torque convertor is that it happens in drive, and also in park....and the noise is definatly coming from the transmission. Now buzzing is probably the wrong word to call it, but cant think of a better word

Kilgore Trout said:
Which is it dood?

I'm talking about over all problems with the car...this problem i'm willing to bet money on whats wrong...rather easy to figure that one out...now all the other crap is what i have no clue on.

Where did you "check"? A VW forum? :scratch:
Yeah a "vw" forum told me all about mustang transmissions :bang: No...i read that right here on the good ole stangnet.

And dude why ya gotta start a internet fight with me :shrug: There definatly is no point in fighting on the internet

Uncle Meat said:
The 4R70W is an AODE transmission (AODE = Automatic Overdrive Electronic) and yes, in 2004 the 4R70W was replaced in some vehicles by the 4R75W which handles 50 more ft lbs of torque along with a few other updates.

U.M.

Thanks U.M. :D