Fox Setting timing for new motor

Driver460sz

5 Year Member
Jan 14, 2019
New Hampshire
I know, it's a simple task. But damn, my anxiety gets me all the time. Reassure me here......Please

Setting the timing on a new motor and build. First time builder. Looks easier on TV.

1. Find true top dead center. While turning the crank slowly, I used my finger to confirm compression stroke, then used a camera in the spark plug hole to watch the cylinder rise as I also watched the rockers move. I did not use one of those piston stop things. I thought this was sufficient. Set that as 0 degrees.
2. Put distributor in and mark the rotor in line with the 1 indicator on cap in the appropriate orientation (Maybe not needed, but I did). Mark where TDC is on the dist shaft, cap, and intake according to the rotor position and aligning with that 1 indicator on the cap.
3. Pull distributor and turn the motor to 12 degrees BTDC (I choose 12 based on it seems that is where many start)
4. Put distributor back in, again. Line up the rotor with the 1 indicator on the cap in the same position it was in when I did it at TDC, only 12 degrees back now.
5. Tighten the distributor lock down bolt/washer enough so that you can still twist the distributor for additional adjustments during initial start-up phase.
6. Connect plug wires in correct orientation.

That's it... right.

Sorry for such a basic question. Too many convoluted Youtube videos going on with varying methods and approaches.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I drop dis. In at tdc and use timming light. There was a how to on here somewere.
The car is not running. This is me setting it for its first fire up. I am wanting to get everything dialed in as good as possible so it doesn't get all fawked up for the break in. I will have the timing light ready to rock though. Just trying to avoid one more set back. Between that, worrying about the injector wiring I did, the fuel system install stuff, and trying out a completely new ECU..... I am freaking a bit.

I was also going to run a wire from the a pulled plug to the one spot in the dis and then run another to the positive. Spin until it sparks and set timing there as a base.

Thanks

You did everything correct except you don't pull the distributor and turn the engine, crank it up set your timing,
I mark my distributor on the shoulder and the block at 12* and I can pull my distributor and set it back and then check timing and it's always within a degree of 12, some like it 14* but mine likes 12*.

Reactions: 1 user
Verify TDC. Make sure timing pointer at 0 on balancer. Put distributor in with rotor at number 1. Remove spout connector. Connect timing light to battery and number 1 spark plug wire. Start engine. Point timing light at balancer and slowly twist distributor until 12 degrees at balancer pointer. Tighten down distributor...make sure timing is still at twelve with light. Turn car off. Plug spout connector back in......you are done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Verify TDC. Make sure timing pointer at 0 on balancer. Put distributor in with rotor at number 1. Remove spout connector. Connect timing light to battery and number 1 spark plug wire. Start engine. Point timing light at balancer and slowly twist distributor until 12 degrees at balancer pointer. Tighten down distributor...make sure timing is still at twelve with light. Turn car off. Plug spout connector back in......you are done.
So this will be the first time I start the car and my belief is that I need to start it and run it for 20 minutes at 2,000 - 2,500 RPM. Not sure turning the car off is an option as I don't want to mess up the seating and all that jazz.... thoughts on that?

Roller lifter engine?
Stock rebuild?
Fire it up, set the timing then you can run it at 2k rpms for 20 minutes, watch the temps and oil pressure, shut it down plug in the spout and send that bugger down the road.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I don't know what rings you're running, and you built it yourself but todays metal I'd send it just the way I described. What does the piston/ring manufacturer and/or machine shop say?
I will check with the Creb Engineering out of RI. They did all the tough stuff with internals and specs. I left that stuff to the pros. The rest is me.....not a professional!!!!

First part of your process is right as stated, once it’s in at zero and the rotor pointed in the right spot there is no need to move or turn the dist again until you start the car up to actually set timing running . If this is a factory efi car make sure you pull the spout connector to set base timing. 12-14 on 93 is usually good.

Does this engine have a carburetor or aftermarket ECU ? I'm asking because you said its a 427..far from stock.

Lots of good info there

The old 20mins at 2k rpm is to break in a flat tappet cam.. in the new world of roller motors as long as the cylinders dont get washed out with fuel on the first break in run you should be just fine. bearings dont "break in" they get oil or they dont..

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users