Shifter vibration and rough engine idle

Chronos[AsG]

Dec 20, 2003
NC
So I just finished my AODE to t56 swap and I'm taking care of some basic maintenance now. When I first got the t56 installed the stock h pipe wouldn’t fit so I had to use an o/r h pipe for a fox body long enough to get it to an exhaust. It ran good enough with that to get ti to the exhaust shop. It didn’t have any bottom end and the engine wanted to stall out every time I came to a stoplight, though. At the least I didn’t notice any vibration in the shifter at this point. I can’t afford an aftermarket exhaust right now so I got the stock h pipe cut and welded to fit around the tranny and the crossmember since it has been moved back about 3 or 4 inches. The exhaust is fine now but I've noticed a couple of things since I've gotten the car back. First, the shifter handle vibrates. Just a little bit at idle, enough to be noticeable, and it goes away once I start driving. Is a little bit of vibration normal? If so, why didn’t I notice it before I got the exhaust worked on. Also, is it possible the exhaust pipes are hitting the tranny and making it vibrate?

Second, the engine seems to idle kind of rough now. It was fine when I had the automatic in it but now it seems a little rough and it seems to shake a little bit every now and again. Is it possible that it’s due to the exhaust work I had done? I didn’t know if maybe the exhaust was tuned and if cutting the pipes and welding in new sections could affect the idle? There are a few times I've had the engine stall or almost stall when I am moving slow or sitting still and I turn the steering wheel. Seems pulling the power steering pump is almost enough to stop the engine sometimes.

• Sponsors (?)

the tranny is mounted to the engine and the engine will move a bit at idle and when you start driving it will smooth out. the vib your feeling is normal and you can actually get a rubber gasket set for that for like $5 shipped. I bought some from Cobrabob. you get the shifter base and 2 handle gaskets and they will almost eliminate the vibs. I can link you to him if you want.