Slightly Damp driver side carpet

I found that a strip of stick on 1/4 ounce wheel weights fit under there real nice. I've done it a few times with those dang things. They do leave adhesive that needs to be cleaned up when removed but it works to make it functional. I did the cupholder console so no more of those problems over here. I have one of those repair kits sitting on top of my tool box brand new in the packaging.

• Sponsors (?)

I found that a strip of stick on 1/4 ounce wheel weights fit under there real nice. I've done it a few times with those dang things. They do leave adhesive that needs to be cleaned up when removed but it works to make it functional. I did the cupholder console so no more of those problems over here. I have one of those repair kits sitting on top of my tool box brand new in the packaging.
Oh dang, another great idea! Stick on weight! Ok well I’m keeping that idea as plan B should I not be able to get those repair kit items to install properly. It’s sitting on my bench as well waiting for a nice day. That spring is super tiny! I will take my time with it and hope to get it right but knowing about the wheel weights now is a good feeling to know it can be rigged another way if needed. Thanks for that also! The cup holders are really nice! I may do that in the future once I catch up with what I feel needs to be done first then move on to items like that. They are nice and very convenient to have.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately in my experience I have never had a foxbody that the carpet was wet where you describe that didn't have rust in the cowl/windshield area. Better check real good because if there is rust, it will only get worse.

Unfortunately in my experience I have never had a foxbody that the carpet was wet where you describe that didn't have rust in the cowl/windshield area. Better check real good because if there is rust, it will only get worse.
Ok will do.
I got a lot of good suggestions here so I’m ready to start poking around and glad I know more of what to look at now. Thanks for this!

Here is one way to do this is (you will need a helper) . This has to be done in pretty much pitch black conditions. Take off the cowl vent cover (where the windshield wiper arms are.) Lay under the dash looking up into the dash area where you suspect a leak. Have your helper shine a BRIGHT light into the cowl area inside where you have removed the vent cover. Have them shine it in the door hinge area, the lower windshield area etc. If you see any light coming through where you are looking up inside you have found your problem. This is better that spraying water and trying to figure out where the leak is.

Hi. Me again. I am NOT trying to be a downer here but I looked at the pictures in your other post and I see something concerning. I see rust on you passengers side in a very common fox rust area. Usually if there is rust here, there is more that is hidden under the fenders. You really need to at a minimum get a scope camera and look up inside this area and see what's going on. I would like to see pictires of the drivers side in the same area if you can.

20210302_193540.jpg

Here is one way to do this is (you will need a helper) . This has to be done in pretty much pitch black conditions. Take off the cowl vent cover (where the windshield wiper arms are.) Lay under the dash looking up into the dash area where you suspect a leak. Have your helper shine a BRIGHT light into the cowl area inside where you have removed the vent cover. Have them shine it in the door hinge area, the lower windshield area etc. If you see any light coming through where you are looking up inside you have found your problem. This is better that spraying water and trying to figure out where the leak is.
Interesting! Never thought of that and makes perfect sense. Ok thanks for this. This is worth a try also!

Hi. Me again. I am NOT trying to be a downer here but I looked at the pictures in your other post and I see something concerning. I see rust on you passengers side in a very common fox rust area. Usually if there is rust here, there is more that is hidden under the fenders. You really need to at a minimum get a scope camera and look up inside this area and see what's going on. I would like to see pictires of the drivers side in the same area if you can.

20210302_193540.jpg
Hey good morning and welcome back! Lol I didn’t notice this so thanks for pointing this out! No worries about being a downer. I am always glad to be told what’s a problem so that I can fix it or if not at least I’m aware of it. Good eye! Ok so attached are pics of the driver side. I’m no expert but to me, thank goodness it looks clean of rust. Just a little dirty but I don’t see any major or small rust. The passanger side I’m gonna have to look at more closely. I have a camera video scope so I will do behind the fender on both sides. Thanks for this info!

Attachments

• FB571C53-8683-4126-A51C-66078F8BF0CA.jpeg
    FB571C53-8683-4126-A51C-66078F8BF0CA.jpeg
    510.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 59AF2E24-D41D-4FDE-A300-E5D81A9E9847.jpeg
    59AF2E24-D41D-4FDE-A300-E5D81A9E9847.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 99B17F51-78CB-4506-A09C-A2A2438FDCC6.jpeg
    99B17F51-78CB-4506-A09C-A2A2438FDCC6.jpeg
    495.7 KB · Views: 82
  • CE386763-CC2C-4A99-8B7B-F0BE74DFEF57.jpeg
    CE386763-CC2C-4A99-8B7B-F0BE74DFEF57.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 74
That rust spot on the passenger side needs attention and does raise the question of more rust in the cowl area. That inspection camera will be useful there.

I had my 89 convertible stripped down ( fenders, hood, and engine pulled ) for rust repair in the strut tower area. I had a work light sitting on the passenger floor. When it got dark I was walking around the car and noticed a glimmer of light through the body structure that welds to the cowl. My heart dropped as I gazed through and saw stress cracks all over that corner. Not rust in my case but cracks that ran all the way into my car. From inside the car I could see them through a gap where the harness runs to go in the engine bay. In all the years I owned that car I had no idea. That car was raced and driven hard. Not sure if they were there when the 10 point cage went in. Clean and inspect the cowl and hinge area thoroughly as soon as you get a chance. Helps to pull the fenders off so you can clean out the water channels.

I didn't even notice that spot in the passenger side. He's got a good eye for sure.

That rust spot on the passenger side needs attention and does raise the question of more rust in the cowl area. That inspection camera will be useful there.

I had my 89 convertible stripped down ( fenders, hood, and engine pulled ) for rust repair in the strut tower area. I had a work light sitting on the passenger floor. When it got dark I was walking around the car and noticed a glimmer of light through the body structure that welds to the cowl. My heart dropped as I gazed through and saw stress cracks all over that corner. Not rust in my case but cracks that ran all the way into my car. From inside the car I could see them through a gap where the harness runs to go in the engine bay. In all the years I owned that car I had no idea. That car was raced and driven hard. Not sure if they were there when the 10 point cage went in. Clean and inspect the cowl and hinge area thoroughly as soon as you get a chance. Helps to pull the fenders off so you can clean out the water channels.

I didn't even notice that spot in the passenger side. He's got a good eye for sure.
That’s crazy about the stress cracks. Scary to think what’s happening in those areas you can’t see. Same with a house. I often wonder what’s going on behind those walls. Lol I’m going to take everyone’s advice and tips and hit this hard. Not sure how long it will take but I know I will figure it out sooner than later. Once I get my head into something I kinda get obsessed and can’t stop until I’m satisfied. Lots to do with a bunch of little issues but in time most will be sorted out. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Thanks!

If I knew 3 years ago, all the things I’d find wrong and needed to fix, I would have never bought the car. But then again, they are 30+ years old, and I’ve had a blast working on it.
Enjoy the journey, and know the car is always improving as you fix things. That’s what keeps me going on mine.

If I knew 3 years ago, all the things I’d find wrong and needed to fix, I would have never bought the car. But then again, they are 30+ years old, and I’ve had a blast working on it.
Enjoy the journey, and know the car is always improving as you fix things. That’s what keeps me going on mine.
Your a 1000% correct. It’s 30 years old and although everywhere I look I see something else that needs to be addressed, it’s actually lots of fun making a list, ordering parts, fixing things, making things nicer, and cleaning it up. Part of me says I’m going to be bored when it’s all done but then I say to myself who are you kidding, it’s always going to be something! Lol
Good times chatting with you all!

First, I'd have say your cover is not as waterproof as advertised. Possibly a small hole somewhere? A flaw in the waterproof undercoating?
Second, if you have a sunroof, those drain tubes love to leak. Baring that, the top of the door is a popular place for a fox body to leak. I put some goop in behind my weather striping to make a tighter seal against the door. Maybe your windshield has a small crack or the sealer has dried out and cracked after all these years.

Thanks Bree. No sunroof so I’m sure I escaped future problems with that as well. Lol The cover is actually amazing. Believe it or not it’s 25 years old (bought it back in the day for my 89 LX) and even after a hard rain when I lift the cover the car is bone dry. Barely even any condensation. The water actually pools up on the rear LX spoiler like a pond but it’s bone dry underneath. It’s actually pretty amazing. I think your on to something though with the weather seals. Mine is chewed up. It’s actually very bad. I have the part just waiting on a warm day to install. I’m so curious if that’s going to solve the problem. But the windshield is a possibility also although it looks fine to the eye but ya never know what can be going on behind the scenes right. The puzzling part to me is getting dampness inside with that cover on. It really makes no sense. The guys on this thread gave me a bunch of ideas of which I am going to explore them all and then see what happens. Thanks for your input. I’m definetly changing the door to body weather strip.