Slow fox or just me?

1990 coupe- after you bolt on those parts your car will be like my setup, ill have my heads on very soon an ill post a vid as soon as i can if ya want. i have vids of my car the way it sits if you'd like also. mods in my sig.

nick6690- sounds like what i get outta mine. i get 3rd everytime an 4th chirps. think that depends on clutch/tires too though. i just get massive wheel hop, well atleast with the crappy tires on the 10 holes, the new r's seem to hook pretty good suprisingly but less wheel hop. i dont get it but it seems to get outta the hole easier.

• Sponsors (?)

im leavin to go check out a clean 4 cyl hatch in calypso for a friend. comes with roller motor complete an gt40 heads, and a t5 swap for $1500 lol. heres two vids of my car at the track just for an idea of how mine is, guess somethin to compare our cars too?!? lol

no powershifting and 2.1 60fts. one of the vids i over reved against the fast as hell 12.5@115 audi v8 lol.

YouTube - island dragway
YouTube - island dragway

I'm rockin the 2.73s and mine breaks em loose in first and chirps second if you give it absolute hell, so even with the worst gears, it should still get a little rowdy. Btw, rolling in first gear (nitrous on) at about 2k...blows the tires off insanely and chirps through 3rd. And that's with 2.73s

yeah they do.......well they prolly do :rolleyes:. 410s!! with spray?!?! plan on drivin around on slicks?!? lol. 355s are perfect in my eyes, maybe some 373s at most. there light cars with good torque, im not so sure 410s are needed to get them movin but im sure it would be fun to rip on the....on the track an just spin 1st, 2nd and 3rd but id get sick of it probably

Ya mostly likely will go with 373, maybe less if I up the spray, but I don't spray often and I like the get up and go, hopefully by spring she'll be plently fast enough. 410s will be overkill on the juice, but it's tempting

Brian I know exactly what you mean. My car isn't as fast as yours, but every time I drive or ride in another stocker it's just painfully slow. Mine has Long tubes, o/r x, junk flows, 3.55s and a few other little things. It's just a low mileage strong running speed density car. I drive it around all the time on 28" slicks and it will haze them going into second and scratch third pretty good unless they're good and hot. When they're hot it'll go from a stop at the good ole 6250 :D

It must have a lot to do with weight (heavy GT), the choice of mods and the way it's tuned. You really have to know how to drive these cars as well. I'm pretty sure there's no one other than my closest friends that truely believe my car is stock motor after they run it, no matter how long they look under the hood. It's embarrassed many, many "should be faster" cars. Everything from turbo hondas to stroker Mustangs.

Mine has only made one pass ever but it went 100mph a long time ago with less mods, as full as full weight gets (200lbs lighter now) plus 100lbs of tools and other ****, with the worst 60ft ever at junk Lebanon Valley. It should go 103+ easy now at Lebanon. I'd like to see what it would do with 4.10s or at least 3.73s especially at a real track. I guess we will never know haha.

I drove a stock 5.0 two weekends ago....was kinda thinking the same thing.

Stock 5.0's are just slow by today's standards. A good chunk of the V6 family sedans on the road could probably take a stocker nowadays. I know i've done it onces or twice.

ok now im worried.......maybe my car is losing compression or just past its days.....everything looked fine when doing the top end, and i figured out my oil pressure could be better, @ 25psi warm goes upto 50 when reving, and 50psi cold start.
i need to get to the bottom of this, if i can spin first and second from a roll i will be more than happy..

where to start...:shrug:

Makdaddy, comparing your car to ours by tire spinning is not the best way to decide it's not running right. A dyno or track numbers might tell a better story, but there are a lot of factors in knowing why one car does something different than another. My comparison with his, hers and mine comes from the same streets, same weather etc... just completely different animals. I just wanted to make sure if I told him his car was sluggish, I wasn't just used to mine.

Funniest thing, my brothers car was entered into a burnout contest. The car that at the time was going low 12s @ 111 or so. He was on some 225 street radials and in water... Car wouldn't do a burnout. I assumed it was him at the time. A couple days later I was on my street with the car, facing up hill... heal/toe on the gas and brake, dropped the hammer off the rev limiter and to my surprise... no burnout. Car would just severely wheel hop. Now we knew the car made power, but for some reason the tires just wouldn't allow it.

Just thought that was an interesting thing that happened last summer!

I got my '91 coupe BONE stock with 43k miles on it, and the first time I went out and banged gears in the thing it actually surprised me how quick it was stock. I floored it from a 2k roll in 2nd gear and the thing got sideways and chirped third. A year later I did the h/c/i with the custom jay allen cam and dyno tune and all supporting mods, and the car was an absoluteley different animal all together. The car was literally scary on the street, only 306/311 but the car was tuned right and very light, and on stock suspension it was all over the road and had little to no traction. By comparison, my stock fox might as well have been a tractor trailer, that's how different of a feel these cars are from stock to modded.

By the way, for the guys trying to judge how fast their cars are by how much the tires spin :scratch: I've driven cars that actually felt SLOWER when they hooked because I was so used to the thing breaking the tires free and getting sideways and acting violent. Lack of traction is not an indicator of power.

sometimes a little wheel spin wil help the turd get in the revs faster, and go faster as well, but not when your smoking the tires at 60 lol..

my ole 89 hatch felt like it had some nuttz to it, and the only thing it had done was ported e7's by me, stock cam -4, typhoon, shorties, 3550 4.10's and all the bolt ons, it was stripped as well, but not to the extreme.. it would pull 6-7 cars on a 270hp 2v gt 4.6 with gears, and there wasnt anyway i was making that power..

i drove a kids last saturday, it had headers, b cam, cai, and some other bolt ons, and like 3.55's, but it felt slow as hell!! another dude has a 91 coupe ive been tinkering with. its got ported e7's e-cam 3.27's real cobra intake, all the bolt ons, aod car, and it wont go but 14.0's at 98. my 98gt has 4.10's a plenum and exhaust, intake and stock pi cams and goes 1mph faster and .2 tenths. with 2.3 60fts... my car just pulls from these with ease its not funny.. almost seems like a lost cause because everything i do they dont go any faster!! my car i do something simple and it picks up? its like there cursed or something, doomed to slowness..

By the way, for the guys trying to judge how fast their cars are by how much the tires spin :scratch: I've driven cars that actually felt SLOWER when they hooked because I was so used to the thing breaking the tires free and getting sideways and acting violent. Lack of traction is not an indicator of power.

It just means you need better tires.

I could chirp FOURTH gear in my '03 GT with stock tires. When i put good tires on it, i could barely scratch 2nd after.

This is true about the tires. My brothers 06 GT with an axle back, shifter and some 18s will spin some into 3rd.

I wasn't trying to use tire spin as an inidcation of power, my like a comparison to show the power difference I felt between the cars. I guess looking back, a second and a half and probably a solid 8-10 mph difference (mine going in the 12s, vs his/hers probably low 14s) would truly feel like it did.

I guess it's dyno time for his car!

It just means you need better tires.

I could chirp FOURTH gear in my '03 GT with stock tires. When i put good tires on it, i could barely scratch 2nd after.

This is the truth... anyone talking about how long they can lay rubber really means they need to dial in their pinion angle and get better tires. Sometimes it's the old rubber bushings allowing too much articulation as well. A lot of factors to weight in here.

okay we all know tire spin does not indicate power.....but if a car can brake loose third it does have some guts period..... my car will hardly brake loose first without dumping the clutch.....i know something is wrong with my engine, i have to work on some things......im going to install some mechanicals air fuel,vaccum etc. etc...then from there is MAF swap and tune..............and if that dont help,well its time for rebuild/swap..........