SLP headers, X, [email protected]!!!

JayZ

Oct 31, 2003
It's all in now. Got it in on Monday. SLP long tube headers, X pipe w/cats, Loud Mouth. Well it was great to see that not only does it sound great and is advertised at 35hp to the wheels but it came through!:king: My best time is a [email protected] before all my SLP stuff. By the seat of the pants it felt quicker when I picked up my car Monday but you can never tell. Got to the track tonight ran 13.2s@102-103mph! Super happy. Every run was trapping at 102-103mph and 13.2-13.3s. Only thing is that I'm bouncing off the rev limit in 3rd gear. I've got stock 3.27 and stock timing still in my car. Car is a lot faster and sounds insane. I was reading a lot of disinformation on the threads about long tube headers hurting cars NA. Well I picked up a consistant 3 mph and dipped into the low 13s!!:D I've got 4.10s going in and then I'll get it tuned for everything. later Z:evilgrin:

• Sponsors (?)

Just pullies, KN Filter, CL 85mm Mass Air, 70 TB,DR. And now of course the SLP stuff. That's it. Stock gears, stock timing, no tune, nada. But running 13.26 @ 102.98mph! I'm throwing in 4.10s real soon. I just wanted to see what the SLP stuff did with my stock gears. I was very very happy with the sound and the hp!

The idiots saying long tubes only hurt our cars are judging simply by the peak gains. Anyone who's NOT a dyno queen knows you just can't do that. The gains at peak are minimal at best with long tubes, but you pick up a lot of lower end torque and a lot of average horsepower.

I most definitely saw a pickup in power and torque with my long tubes. But my peak numbers on the dyno only went up by 1hp/8tq.

Kurgan said:
The idiots saying long tubes only hurt our cars are judging simply by the peak gains. Anyone who's NOT a dyno queen knows you just can't do that. The gains at peak are minimal at best with long tubes, but you pick up a lot of lower end torque and a lot of average horsepower.

I most definitely saw a pickup in power and torque with my long tubes. But my peak numbers on the dyno only went up by 1hp/8tq.

Ummmm, not really. You may indeed pick up hp all along the curve (which indeed is a point often overlooked), but long tubes almost always hurt lower end torque. The same is true for shortening the runners on the intake. It helps out up top (by breathing a little better) but lower end sometimes suffers due to the back pressure and such. All in all, you get more than you give up, but as far as low end torque is concerned, you almost always lose some when you go with LT's.

That's why Bassani developed it's "mid length" or "optimal length" headers......as a happy medium between shorties and LT's. To maximize the hp and tq curves for performance. Just because an LT gives you more peak hp, doesn't mean that it's the best application. You were correct in stating that you have to evaluate the entire curve for performance purposes.

BEFORE SLP LT, X, Loud Mouth Catback Exhaust. I was consistent 13.5s@100mph. Always trapping at 100mph and running 13.5s and higher. I had 1.9 60' and always running 80mph 1/8. Now with the LT, X, and LM Exhaust. I'm running consitent 13.2-13.3@102-103mph. Still 1.9 60'(Lots of room for improvment there!) and now 82 mph @ 1/8. So. The car pulls harder now from start to finish and is much faster. I'm REALLY bouncing off the rev limiter going through the 1/4. In 3rd gear 103mph is it. Once I get my 4.10s in I won't have this problem and the car will be much much quicker. The whole exhaust not only advertised that it would throw down some nice hp but obviously it's working. And it still doesn't have any type of tune or chip and my 13.2s are with my stock 3.27 gears. After I get the 4.10s in I might get it tuned to really get the most out of the car. But I just have so many mods I want to keep doing before I throw down the bread for a tune. Later Z

Fatty1570 said:
Ummmm, not really. You may indeed pick up hp all along the curve (which indeed is a point often overlooked), but long tubes almost always hurt lower end torque. The same is true for shortening the runners on the intake. It helps out up top (by breathing a little better) but lower end sometimes suffers due to the back pressure and such. All in all, you get more than you give up, but as far as low end torque is concerned, you almost always lose some when you go with LT's.

That's why Bassani developed it's "mid length" or "optimal length" headers......as a happy medium between shorties and LT's. To maximize the hp and tq curves for performance. Just because an LT gives you more peak hp, doesn't mean that it's the best application. You were correct in stating that you have to evaluate the entire curve for performance purposes.

I'm gonna have to whole heartedly disagree with you on this one. On a COMPLETELY STOCK car (except for an Accel Kool Blue filter drop-in), BBK LTs, OffroadX and Magnaflow Catback on my car produced a net gain of 23 RWHP and 19 RWTQ. I'd post a dyno, but it's on my computer at work. I'll post tomorrow.

Now someone could say that my gains came from the midpipe and catback, and they could be partially true, but I don't know of anyone who has installed LTs and not an aftermarket midpipe (just doesn't make sense to cut the factory H and modify it to work with LTs).

I've talked to pro drag racers (mostly in the pro stock class) who have all said that LT headers are the absolute best for making power. I have never seen a serious racer use shortie or "mid-length" headers. Just look as NASCAR, IRL, NHRA or any other organized group of racers and try to find anything but LT headers.

Matt

Yo! Yo! Thanks Automaticweapon! Thanks for the instal and just trying to follow in your footsteps! Real deal Automaticweapon running LOW 12s NA!!!! SICK!!! BRO!

Fatty1570 said:
All in all, you get more than you give up, but as far as low end torque is concerned, you almost always lose some when you go with LT's.

That is a huge misconception that has been thrown around everytime the subject of longtubes gets brought up. I have yet to see a dyno graph showing a loss of low-end torque. Yes, it frees up flow, but not to the point to where you lose power/torque.

Dyno%20run%20%231%20&%204.JPG

Is a pic of an old dyno I have when I got the LT's installed. Gains where shown throughout the rpm band.

01BlkGT said:
That is a huge misconception that has been thrown around everytime the subject of longtubes gets brought up. I have yet to see a dyno graph showing a loss of low-end torque. Yes, it frees up flow, but not to the point to where you lose power/torque.

Dyno%20run%20%231%20&%204.JPG

Is a pic of an old dyno I have when I got the LT's installed. Gains where shown throughout the rpm band.

Here's my proof...
Matt

LTs are an excellent mod but they are not guaranteed to make power right off the bat for everyone.

when i switched to LTs from stock logs and a o/r x my car actually slowed down at the track... i couldent believe it, i was sooo mad. ultimatily, it took a custom tune to get the car running like it should have been in the first place.

-Mike

AutomaticWeapon said:
LTs are an excellent mod but they are not guaranteed to make power right off the bat for everyone.

when i switched to LTs from stock logs and a o/r x my car actually slowed down at the track... i couldent believe it, i was sooo mad. ultimatily, it took a custom tune to get the car running like it should have been in the first place.

-Mike

Well said Mike, congrats on the time and purchase! :)