Progress Thread Snow - 93 GT Vert. My first Ford, Mustang, convertible, ...

I'd be surprised if you could build your motor to 475 fwhp for less. Dunno actually tho.... just a hunch.
Lets see how far off I am. Assume 240hp currently? Help me fill in the blanks below. I realize these are swipes in the dark, but I think its the best we have today.
  • Long tube headers: $700
  • Ford Performance e303 camshaft: $350
  • TMoss bored out intakes: $?
  • SCAT 331 stroker kit: $1,139
  • Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers: $500
Broad stroke thats worst case ~$2700. How much rwhp do we believe that combo would make? What other additions would make sense?

• Sponsors (?)

Assume 240hp currently?
That'd be 240 fwhp.... maybe... might be less. You may be around 205 rwhp currently.

Dang, that stroker kit is way cheaper than I woulda thought.

Don't forget lifters, pushrods, a gasket kit, upgraded fuel system, throttle body, tuning, etc. Then multiply that total by 1.1 for "other needed, forgot-about parts" and then multiply that total by 1.1 for scope creep.

And I don't think that's the right cam for a 331 stroker there.

My guess is 320rwhp and that may be generous.
Agree.... that it may be generous.

Reactions: 1 user
You can see if TMoss has any interest in porting the heads. I have never asked but if he does not he may know someone who will. If you are wanting to stick with iron heads then open them up to 2.02 intake valves, have the bowls blended, ported, and a good valve job.

Run a custom grind cam and stay away from the letter cams. Did I mention Ed Curtis?

Had a good conversation with the local reputable engine builder. He, along with all of you, have helped me level set on reasonable next steps for all-motor NA 400rwhp.

Start with a 351w, factory roller cam out of the 80s.
Trickflow heads (I forget which ones), will cost $1600-$1800.

His first point was the same as the rest of yalls about the GT40 heads. They are garbage, even if back in the day they were better than stock.

The 351w is a much better hp floor and ceiling than the 302. The 302 is an over-performer, but it will be much less bang for your buck in hp.

The aluminum trick flow heads out of the box will net you 50-60hp so tell your "feelings" to get over needing the old iron.

In conclusion, we will see how the next few months play. Maybe I will be looking for a block to start building up.

Thanks all

Anyone have tips/tricks for getting this broken piece to stay in place?
IMG_4716.jpeg

Did you ever solve this issue? If so, what'd you end up doing?

Usually a vacuum leak or advanced timing
What happens when you reset the computer and hook everything back up?
Yea, did the complete base reset yesterday. Same same.

Im checking for the Surging Idle Checklist ... link may have been moved?

I have a vague memory of inserting the distributor and you commenting it may be off by a tooth. Could that be the culprit?

I will also be doing another smoke test. Last time I did one the only smoke I saw was from the EGR and if I remember correctly smoke from the EGR may be normal in the off position?