So proud...

bluextc

Feb 12, 2006
South Jersey
My 15yr old daughter is about a year and a half away from driving. We told her we'd get her a v6 stang when she does. Tonight she told me she doesn't want a v6, she wants a v8. Of course, she's probably still getting a 6, she likes to go fast and I'd feel safer if she's not driving a GT, but I was so proud of her...

• Sponsors (?)

thats phunny, my daughter is 14 and she already thinks my car is hers
when she gets her liscense, she knows all my mods and plans to add nos......
She drives good already, I let her drive a couple of times and shes a natural.

here is how at 16 I justified a GT to my dad.

could a V6 go one hundred miles per hour? "yes" he said

could a v8 go one hundred miles per hour? yes he said.

is there a good place to go fast? yes he said

is there a bad place to go fast? yes he said

Then I asked do you think I can judge those places? yes he said

Then I said "Nuff Said"

He bought me the GT a week later and I never got a ticket or wrecked or anything.

Teach her where it is safe to "have fun" Teach her how to drive, ie. if your spinning tire make sure the car is straight. before entering a turn have all the braking completed. teach her about tire contact patches and how you can change this in your favor and how things can go wrong when the contact patch is not in your favor.

If she knows these things she will be fine. and the v6 will have the same disadvantages.

Cool deal :nice: . I say get her a 98 GT, that way you can make it faster as needed...or upgrade to a 04 GT or 06 GT (depending on prefrence) when she learns to drive well.

V8 cars with wirder tires and better suspension are much easier to control...or in the least, put bigger tires on a V6 if you buy one.
My dads 00 V6 used to scare me a little in wet weather, and IMHO im an EXTREMELY good driver (not bragging or anything)...and to make me nervous/on edge, thats pretty bad. BUT he threw on 245s up front and 315s in the rear, :nice: MUCH better now.

Buy her gran turismo 4 for the PS2 and make her play that and drift the cars...get a feel for what to do in every situiation...its MUCH more diffacult to control them vs a real car. Then take her to an empty parking lot and let her hone in her newfound skillz :D.
Man if it wernt for video games, im pretty sure my driving reflexes would be MUCH worse....iv been @ 45* angles @ 50MPH in the RAIN and saved the car, its just an instant reaction. Sometimes I just let go of the wheel and let it straighten up, and sometimes I correct for it...completely situalional, and only know what to do when I get in a jam. Something she needs to learn how to do, make driving become a second nature, no time to think about what to do. (sorry long)

bullitt 5561 said:
here is how at 16 I justified a GT to my dad.

could a V6 go one hundred miles per hour? "yes" he said

could a v8 go one hundred miles per hour? yes he said.

is there a good place to go fast? yes he said

is there a bad place to go fast? yes he said

Then I asked do you think I can judge those places? yes he said

Then I said "Nuff Said"

He bought me the GT a week later and I never got a ticket or wrecked or anything.

Teach her where it is safe to "have fun" Teach her how to drive, ie. if your spinning tire make sure the car is straight. before entering a turn have all the braking completed. teach her about tire contact patches and how you can change this in your favor and how things can go wrong when the contact patch is not in your favor.

If she knows these things she will be fine. and the v6 will have the same disadvantages.

Dude by chance were you in Myrtle Beach for Mustang Week...? If so did you run the autocross?

hotmustang331 said:
Cool deal :nice:... blah blah blah blah blah.............

ramble ramble ramble ramble ramble.... My dads 00 V6 used to scare me a little in wet weather, and IMHO im an EXTREMELY good driver (not bragging or anything)... blah blah blah

etc etc etc.. blah blah blah..

:bs: crapola :ZipIt: :sleep:

:jester:

damn wish somebody would have bought me somethin when I was 16. Had to wait till I was 17 to get a car when I saved enough.

at 16 i was hoping my dad didnt drop me from his health insurance so i could get foot surgery:(

but that is very nice of you to buy your daughter a car:nice: Just make sure she is respectful of the car because many of my friends who have not had to pay for cars have wrecked them quick.:notnice:

For a first car, even a 98 GT would be too much imo.. they may not have a ton of top end, but they have enough low end to make tire spin an issue, especially in the rain or snow. A V6 would be a great learner car, but just bear in mind that they handle differently than a GT so impress upon her that she doesn't speed around corners or try to stunt in any way. When she shows you that she can handle the feeling of having a sports car and is responsible, then you let her purchase her own 94-98 GT. It will have lower insurance than a 99+, less power, and can be had for less money so should she get in a fender bender, it isn't a huge loss. When she has proven herself with that, or when she moves out (whichever is first) then she can go for the big power. Thats just my opinion though... I started off with a 1990 chevy celebrity wagon which I drove for 2 years before I picked up the Mustang. Two different cars, I know, but those two years were valuable learning tools and helped me gain maturity to own a V8 stang.

The insurance on the GT at that age would be enough for me to buy my kid a V6. Heck, when I was 16 I was handed down my brothers 78 camaro with a high output 350....only worth a couple of grand at the time, but boy was it fun. :D Easily had the power of a GT, but none of the safety and handling. I never killed anything except a few sets of tires.

Anyways, whatever you buy her, if she don't like it, tell her to stick it up her hieney cuz most kids have to buy their own cars. :nono:

Don't even waste your money on a v6 Mel! What are you doing! Buy her a Saturn SC2! well...that's just me. I can't justify buying a v6. My cousin got a v6 camaro for his first car and just feels like a tool in it because he knows he gets 0 respect in it.

See, my first car was a saturn and I didn't give 2 craps. I knew it was slow and I knew I got no respect in it. I just used it to gain driving experience and then bought my GT. :D