Some things did not age will on the Foxbody Mustang.

ChaseRoads

do I need to lube this area?
Oct 29, 2020
midwestern america
Having owned a bunch of foxes from over the last 25 or so years, there are some things that at one point just looked GREAT! but now just look old fashioned and out of place. 2 things that really stand out to me are the saleen wing and the cobra r wheels. I've put the saleen wing on like 5 different cars over the years, now I find myself removing them. With the exception of an actual saleen, they just don't look as good. Same goes for cobra r wheels, what once was the greatest wheel you could get, no looks out of place and generic. Anyone else feel this way? What are some trends that didn't stand the test of time in your eyes?

Attachments

• wail.jpg
    wail.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 62
  • rrrrr.jpg
    rrrrr.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Sponsors (?)

I agree the wing no longer looks as cool as it once did, however I think the Cobra R rims are still one of the coolest things you can put on a fox. They aren't as unique as they once were since a LOT of people have them now, but they are still one of my personal favorites (especially they gunmetal grey ones). I feel like the brake lights on the gt have failed the test of time. I find myself preferring the lx lens.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Not a fan of the 4-lug Cobra R's even though I like the 5-lug 95R and 98 Cobra wheel.

Agree on the Saleen wing, which is one reason why i took it off my car and put a stock wing back on.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
On my '90, I hated the God awful airbag steering wheel that not only looked like it came off an E250 van, but made for some annoying functional changes. The columns on airbag cars no longer had a tilt adjustment, and the stupid horn buttons were tiny and offset to the corners of that couch cushion the airbag was stuffed into.

Reactions: 1 users
The four lug cobras and cobra inserts always gave me the cheap feeling when seeing them on peoples cars.. Then again i'm picky, I'm one of those people who can't stand cobra emblems on a non cobra

Reactions: 1 user
I always liked the real '95 R rims. They have a clean look. And they work in the original aluminum paint, chrome, or painted almost anything else if it compliments the rest of the color scheme. It's the clones and 4-lug versions that look funky.

• Agree
Design elements that didn’t age well….

The damn center console with the useless ashtray.

The radio location

Map lights

Map pockets

Integrated hub/rotors from a pinto and rear frocking drum brakes

I was never a fan of the Saleen wing. Even on the Saleen, it was always ugly and tacked on IMO.

A couple of personal opinions...

The headlights. Pretty much true of all 80's and early to mid 90's cars, the fluted lens just doesn't look as nice as a clear lens. Ultra clears are still something I really like on my GT.

Polarizing, but the LX nose in general. The flatter air dam style nose of the GT and Cobra was always a better look to me, and definitely a precursor to modern cars with flatter air dams for aerodynamics.

Luggage rack trunks.

As far as Cobra R wheels, I still like them. They aren't really anything special anymore, but I wouldn't throw them out if I bought a car that already had them.

My favorite wheels are 98 cobra wheels. This is a coupe I used to own with a set of 98 cobra rims. I don't have this car anymore, but I do have two sets of 98 cobra rims and I plan on putting them on my coupe.

93 white coupe.jpg

Last edited:
If I had rear disc brakes, I would have an 18” staggered set of gunmetal Cobra Rs on my car.

I have to agree with trunk luggage racks, Saleen spoilers, saleen rear bumper valances, and the location of the radio.

Last edited:
I have oem r wheels on a car but since they are so played out around here with the knock offs these don't do anything for me. Only reason they are still installed is because they are so clean and I really don't feel like searching and buying another set of wheel.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1636557526184.jpg
    FB_IMG_1636557526184.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 71
I’ve always had a thing for the 98 Cobra wheels. Just wish they came in 9”

DC56C8CB-A4A2-4881-8209-9222F481B586.jpeg
You are the guy I always think of when I mention 98 Cobra rims. I still have to get my other set sent to me. My friend in New Jersey has them. I am going to make the best set of 4 out of the 8 rims I have. I even considered having one set widened....not sure I will go down that path yet though....

You are the guy I always think of when I mention 98 Cobra rims. I still have to get my other set sent to me. My friend in New Jersey has them. I am going to make the best set of 4 out of the 8 rims I have. I even considered having one set widened....not sure I will go down that path yet though....

I actually have 8 of them. Was debating myself widening two and narrowing one to 6-7” to use as a spare tire since they clear big brake kits quite well.

Reactions: 1 user