Some things did not age will on the Foxbody Mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

It sure would've been nice if they'd given some thought into replacing the heater core if they were designing the dashboard.

Reactions: 4 users
I didn’t mind the 4 lug cobra R wheels until I started looking at pics of Foxes with 5 lug cobra R wheels. Now it’s engrained in my head that 5 lugs are the only way to go if you get those wheels. Having a black/dark center cap helps make the 4 lugs look more tolerable IMO.
3DB996D5-3DAD-4661-9F76-3ABE4A65FD11.jpeg

I don’t mind the Saleen spoiler as long as the rest of the car somewhat matches the theme (at least a slight cowl hood, the right set of wheels and a good stance), like this:
404F008F-C03C-4934-B023-43EB4DEA03A3.jpeg

I personally never liked the saleen wing. And not a fan of those wheels either. But bullitt wheels look worse and only belong on vintage mustangs in my opinion.

The 99-01 cobra wheels look good though. I might be partially biased though.

Attachments

• IMG_20211106_055440999.jpg
    IMG_20211106_055440999.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: 1 user
“...And just when we thought that guy that made zero sense was gone……another steps up to take his place...”

“...Yep, doesn’t make any sense...”

Ya hafta go backa page.

Then it makes CENTS (sense). Millions of dollars worth.

Called industrial design -its influenced by factors as varied as materials, production processes, business strategy, and prevailing social, commercial, or aesthetic attitudes.

I personally never liked the saleen wing. And not a fan of those wheels either. But bullitt wheels look worse and only belong on vintage mustangs in my opinion.

The 99-01 cobra wheels look good though. I might be partially biased though.
The '99-'01 Cobra wheels are nice, but they only came in 17"x8" which limits tire width.

If anybody hates their notch/convertible Saleen Wing, I'll buy it. I'm looking to fix the one Ive had on my 89' Conv since December of 1988.

Ive been looking online and they seem to want an arm and leg for them. One place has them for a decent price, but the shipping is another 120 bucks, which is ridiculous considering I had a brand new 4.6" bore BBC Dart block shipped to the house for $21 bucks 4 months ago.

The Saleen wing worked as intended. It provided a lot of down-force on the rear of the car at speed. Since I have a Saleen, I thought the rear wing worked very nicely with the rest of the body tweaks that Saleen did.
When I took the Saleen wing off of my Racecar and put on a flat wing, the car picked up 3 mph in the 1/8. That gives you an idea on how much downforce/drag that rear wing provided. It is hard to get downforce without adding drag.
wedding%20014_zpsoy9ffzn2.jpg

20190517_144049.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
At the same time, it is easy to add drag without adding downforce.

I don't have numbers on whether the Saleen Wing provided a significant improvement in downforce - it would be fairly impossible to say without a wind tunnel or at least a really controlled track testing session.

Tell ya what, go push your Pony 140+ down the road without the Saleen wing, then put one on and do it again. My car went from Mr. Toads wild ride to one hand on the wheel solid and stable after dropping the front and adding the wing.

Having run that wing for 31 years, I've had to replace the trunk seal twice because of the down force smashing the seal. If youre really sensitive behind the wheel, you can feel the down force really begin to happen at about 75mph. Below that, you wont notice anything.

Tell ya what, go push your Pony 140+ down the road without the Saleen wing, then put one on and do it again. My car went from Mr. Toads wild ride to one hand on the wheel solid and stable after dropping the front and adding the wing.

Having run that wing for 31 years, I've had to replace the trunk seal twice because of the down force smashing the seal. If youre really sensitive behind the wheel, you can feel the down force really begin to happen at about 75mph. Below that, you wont notice anything.
I noticed the difference with a plain hatch to adding a GT spoiler.

I don't want to get in a big argument about it, but I would tend to find the wings being very effective to be dubious at best.

To be blunt, our understanding of aerodynamics has increased greatly since the Saleen wing debuted in 1983. The "divisive" 2000 Cobra R wing was often blasted by people as being too high and ugly, but the reasoning from Ford was sound - if it was too low, it did nothing. This is also why all the race cars, such as the Maximum Motorsports one...
Maximum_91_AI_Racecar_Buildup-005_LG.jpg

use a big ass wing that sits above the roof - because that is where they are most effective.

Still, I guess it can't be ruled out that a Saleen wing does nothing since I don't have access to a wind tunnel, but as with most pieces for street cars I would lean towards 99% aesthetics.

Wings, spoilers, air ducts and such things have a range of effects much like an intake, heads and cam, some are installed for looks/sound and some are installed for an intended purpose.
I have always liked the spoiler (duck tail?) that was used on the early mustangs, I got one like was on the pace car, 3 pieces but when I mocked it up on the junk pyle while looking cool it introduced several modifications that I was not going to deal with so the GT spoiler went back on, I need to sell that since I won't be using it, they look really good on a coupe, right @90sickfox ?

• Hell Yeah!
I don't want to get in a big argument about it, but I would tend to find the wings being very effective to be dubious at best.

To be blunt, our understanding of aerodynamics has increased greatly since the Saleen wing debuted in 1983. The "divisive" 2000 Cobra R wing was often blasted by people as being too high and ugly, but the reasoning from Ford was sound - if it was too low, it did nothing. This is also why all the race cars, such as the Maximum Motorsports one...

use a big ass wing that sits above the roof - because that is where they are most effective.

Still, I guess it can't be ruled out that a Saleen wing does nothing since I don't have access to a wind tunnel, but as with most pieces for street cars I would lean towards 99% aesthetics.
Agreed on the 2000 R. I remember reading that it was described as “just high enough to be functional”.

SO glad Ford did not do a 2000R style spoiler on the new GT500. The CFTP spoiler (or the stock spoiler with added gurney flap) does a very nice job at 130MPH+ without that gaudy clothes hanger wing. Ok, maybe the CFTP spoiler might be a tad bit loud, but I like it

I guess that's one thing we can say that aged badly with SN95 cars. Back in the mid 2000's a lot of folks slapped 2000R wings on their V6's

SO glad Ford did not do a 2000R style spoiler on the new GT500. The CFTP spoiler (or the stock spoiler with added gurney flap) does a very nice job at 130MPH+ without that gaudy clothes hanger wing. Ok, maybe the CFTP spoiler might be a tad bit loud, but I like it

I guess that's one thing we can say that aged badly with SN95 cars. Back in the mid 2000's a lot of folks slapped 2000R wings on their V6's

To be fair, that has to do with the shape of the new Mustang body. The newer generation Mustangs (and all newer cars, really) are so much better aerodynamically than prior years that they can do things much more cleanly and efficiently.

Despite the "aero nose" our cars are bricks compared to the new ones. A lot of people focus on the "boxy" front end, but we've learned that the rear of the car is just as important, and how the air flows off and detaches from the car has a huge impact on drag. The air flow detaches from the Fox at the roofline because it angles down too sharply, which is why spoilers and wings that are mounted on the edge of the trunk are less effective than ones above the roof line. Ideally, the air would flow down across the rear glass and detach smoothly at the end of the trunk.

The bubble hatch capri probably had better aerodynamics because of that, but they are super ugly too :)