Some things did not age will on the Foxbody Mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't want to get in a big argument about it, but I would tend to find the wings being very effective to be dubious at best.

To be blunt, our understanding of aerodynamics has increased greatly since the Saleen wing debuted in 1983. The "divisive" 2000 Cobra R wing was often blasted by people as being too high and ugly, but the reasoning from Ford was sound - if it was too low, it did nothing. This is also why all the race cars, such as the Maximum Motorsports one...
Maximum_91_AI_Racecar_Buildup-005_LG.jpg

use a big ass wing that sits above the roof - because that is where they are most effective.

Still, I guess it can't be ruled out that a Saleen wing does nothing since I don't have access to a wind tunnel, but as with most pieces for street cars I would lean towards 99% aesthetics.

Well, I'm in 99ish percent agreement with you.

Except for the Ford paraphrase
if it was too low, it did nothing
They were wrong. LoL

I'm an aircraft guy and I promise you that it does [something]. :D It is just often not the effect that people think it should be:

View: https://youtu.be/bSE-9w6GxG8

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that yeah... The whale tails etc.. that were so popular in The Fox Hay Day were some of the worst [performing] mods available.

I remember that Steeda had put some time and money into theirs and I also vaguely recall a Kenny Brown piece did very well.

Ford is definitely taking it into consideration now. hehe I think they started taking it seriously in about the second generation of the S197 Cobra (on production cars). Maybe sooner (thinking out loud).

On a side note: Take a look at a trim tab on an aircraft. A little can go a very long way when it is right up tight against the rest of an airfoil.

On my '90, I hated the God awful airbag steering wheel that not only looked like it came off an E250 van, but made for some annoying functional changes. The columns on airbag cars no longer had a tilt adjustment, and the stupid horn buttons were tiny and offset to the corners of that couch cushion the airbag was stuffed into.
And when you can't find the horn button when driving and someone needs a blast.