Space between steering wheel and column cover after column swap

boostfrk

10 Year Member
Aug 30, 2011
Colorado
I swapped a non-tilt column into my '90 LX (back to how it originally came). The column came from an '85 and everything bolted up perfectly, but now when I put the non-tilt column covers on there is a large space (1.5" - 2")between the back of the steering wheel and the column cover. It's as if the shaft which the steering wheel bolts to is too long.

What am I missing here to make this work and close this gap?

• Sponsors (?)

Pictures would help

Pictures below...
0_0_da51d92268c0d055e00234d38ad5c940_1

0_0_ed9a8111077768bfc7644b1a764e9324_1
0_0_2bca8fdc3f3b41ed26746cdd8b367d30_1

Unfortunately, you used the wrong column. You need a 90-92 column. 1993 might work too, but i think some of the eletrical hookups changed.

As you've noticed, where the wheel is located changed from the non-airbag years to when ford put the airbag in starting in 1990. The non-airbag years had smaller thinner profile wheels, so the columns were longer to put the wheel closer to the driver. The aurbag wheels are bigger, so they hold the steering wheel farther away.

Unfortunately only fix is a custom job, or get the correct year column

Unfortunately, you used the wrong column. You need a 90-92 column. 1993 might work too, but i think some of the eletrical hookups changed.

As you've noticed, where the wheel is located changed from the non-airbag years to when ford put the airbag in starting in 1990. The non-airbag years had smaller thinner profile wheels, so the columns were longer to put the wheel closer to the driver. The aurbag wheels are bigger, so they hold the steering wheel farther away.

Unfortunately only fix is a custom job, or get the correct year column

I was afraid of this. By "custom" are you referring to shortening of the column where the wheel attaches to the shaft? Is there where I would want to shorten the column? I'm guessing I would have to re-thread the hole in the center as well for mounting the steering wheel?

Custom meaning anything you do will be pretty much uncharted territory. Or, a custom column shroud if you can live with the steering wheel distance.

Unfortunately short of changing out the column, that's your only option