Spark Plug Gap w/ Nitrous

• Sponsors (?)

GTSleeper2002 said:
I called steeda and asked them what gap i should use if i am spraying a 150 shot. They said the stock gap was fine and that it did not need to be bigger or smaller.

Whats your comments on this.

Thanks

150 on a stock Gt good luck, you should get at least 2 step colder spark plugs, gapped them at .35 and get a timing adjuster and lower it to 8 degrees, you should also get a bigger fuel pump, and pray do alot of praying

i would not run 150 w/o a tune ... a good tune

JM

JamGtStang said:
150 on a stock Gt good luck, you should get at least 2 step colder spark plugs, gapped them at .35 and get a timing adjuster and lower it to 8 degrees, you should also get a bigger fuel pump, and pray do alot of praying

i would not run 150 w/o a tune ... a good tune

JM

good advice here , dont do 150 , unless you tune it for it

Just an FYI, all the nitrous backfires (they DESTROY the intake manifold and can potentially burn your car to the ground) occur when people run wet shots of 150HP or more.

OUR INTAKE MANIFOLDS ARE DESIGNED FOR ONLY AIR....SPRAYING ALOT OF GAS DOWN THEM IS NOT GOOD! Fuel can puddle easily, and BAM intake is gone...and most likely will send pieces into your valves and pistons, destroying your motor. Its not worth it IMHO. Go with a 100 shot.

I have run a 175 wet shot(yes 175) through my car several times at the track. I have the stock plastic lower intake and have never had so much as a hiccup. I do have a Diablosport Predator to adjust the timing and i run 2 step colder plugs gapped at .35 inch. The trick is to run a rpm window switch that is set properly. Mine has been at 2800 rpm-on to 6000rpm-off. My factory rev limiter is raised to 6400 to take advantage of the mods i've done so far when not running the nitrous. I do have a built bottom end but previously i had run the 150 shot on the stock internals at least 15-20 times. The car can handle it but you have less room for error.
So the 100 shot with 1 step colder plugs gapped at .4 or .35 inch. I didn't run any timing adjustment with even the 150 but i did run premium with octane booster in the tank. Don't worry to much but FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS of the kit,the more hp you spray the less room for mistakes you have. Remember that and you'll be ok.

Im not saying it will happen everytime...but the ones I see that back fire are those with the 150. There is a vid of an 01 cobra on the dyno...1st time spraying a 150 and BOOM! HUGE backfire and blew his aluminum intake in half.

Another of a vette running the spray....had a backfire on the launch and burnt the car up.

Another guy on here had a 200 wet shot on a forged motor....first time spraying and it backfired.

then reciently a guy with an 01 cobra engine....sprayed 150 shot a few times racing, and then on the last pull. BOOM sent pieces into the valves and destroyed the motor.

Just too many cases of this stuff happening IMO.

A 150 shot is pushing it but as long as you have the money to fix it, give it a shot. At worst you have to fork over the money for something bigger and better. I'm the guy who sprayed a 200 shot throught the stock intake and on the first run it blew up, lol. One good thing about the plastic intake is that it is the first thing to go.

Ive heard that a manual will blow up the intake before an automatic. Because the computer can tell that there is more power and can do whatever it needs to do. A manual is all on the driver. and alot of nitrous backfire is mostly spraying at too low of an rpm.

I'm a big nitrous supporter and I think a 150 shot is on the big side for a stock bottom end. Plus like hot pointed out seems the most backfires, puddlling issues occur with a 150 or bigger shot. just something to think about.
but for a 150 1 step at least if not 2 steps colder. gap .035 prolly.

This stinks. i keep getting different answers to the spark plug gap question. Some say if a plug is pre gapped not to re-gap it because it was specificly designed with that certain gap. And others say its ok to get the gap to .35. And yet others say to buy plugs with the gap you need....by the way that task is about impossible.:bang:
Im running Denso Iridium Power plugs that have a .60 or .65 gap(i think). but guys have been saying to tighten up the gap to prevent it from blowing out the spark. I dont want to damage a $12 plug. go figure

fastangboi said:
This stinks. i keep getting different answers to the spark plug gap question. Some say if a plug is pre gapped not to re-gap it because it was specificly designed with that certain gap. And others say its ok to get the gap to .35. And yet others say to buy plugs with the gap you need....by the way that task is about impossible.:bang:
Im running Denso Iridium Power plugs that have a .60 or .65 gap(i think). but guys have been saying to tighten up the gap to prevent it from blowing out the spark. I dont want to damage a $12 plug. go figure

No point in running those expensive plugs.... go with the NGK 6's or the autolite 103's (i think that's the number). They are around $2 a piece for me... I gap at .035 and haven't had a problem and am spray a 150 shot right now (on a built motor though)