spinnin problems, drag radial suggestions

got my 4.10s in last week and got it dyno tuned. went racing this weekend and it was impossible to hook up, spinning through first and through some of second. i figured a good fix would be drag radials. any info on the different products, prices, etc............

thanks,
-T

• Sponsors (?)

got my 4.10s in last week and got it dyno tuned. went racing this weekend and it was impossible to hook up, spinning through first and through some of second. i figured a good fix would be drag radials. any info on the different products, prices, etc............

thanks,
-T

I've had a couple pairs of BFG Drag Radials (275-40-17's) and had very good success at the dragstrip with them. In my 03 Mach 1 (manual trans), they got my sixty foot times to a best of 1.79 with mostly 1.80's. Just air them down to 20-25 psi and heat them up in a 2nd gear burnout when you stage and you'll have axle-breaking traction. I have friends with the Nitto Drag Radials who like that brand, but their sixty foot times don't seem to be as low as the guys with BFG's.

The BFG's are stickier than the Nitto's at the track, but the Nitto's last more miles if you plan to use them on the street, too. So, depending on your own personal balance between street and track, that should help you decide which brand is better.

I have a brand new pair of BFG D/R's in my garage that UPS just delivered. Can't wait to mount them on my 07 GT to see some 12 second timeslips finally.

I decided to go with the M and H drag radials for my stang. The car really hooks up wth these plus i love the size... 275/50/17 which fill the wheel wells perfect. Gives it that old school look, which I love. Got the rubber discounted for $180.00 each direct from the M and H tire web site.

DSC01747.jpg

DSC01744.jpg

DSC01749.jpg

DSC01750.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01747.jpg
    DSC01747.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC01744.jpg
    DSC01744.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC01749.jpg
    DSC01749.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC01750.jpg
    DSC01750.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 586
Nitto's spin bad at the track. I had them on my 03 GT with 4.30's and could spin as far as I wanted. On the street they hooked hard though. When I get some sticky tires, I'm going with MT this time on a spare set of wheels.

When I go to the track, I used to run 255/50/16 M/T ET Street Drag Radial with my Mustang. It's best 60 foot time was 1.9 on those. The car could still spin those pretty easy. I am going to be running 26/10.5/17 M/T ET Street Slick next time out.

I've got a pair of Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials and if a drag radial is what you're after, these are by far the best of the bunch. :nice:

My Cougar has an open diff and with only "one wheel" working, I was still able to cut mid-1.8X 60ft times with these tires on.

A couple of buddies have BFGoodrich D/R's, which seem to hook well, but don't last on the street. Another has Nitto's, which considering how lousy they are, may as well not even be considered a Drag Radial at all.

If you have a manual transmission car, the M/T Street Drag Radial is not the tire for you. I tried the 255/50/16 with my car and those didn't hook. If I were to try them again it would be the 275/40/17 but I have seen mixed results with those and manual transmission cars. Because of that, I am going with the 26/11.5/17 M/T ET Street Drag tire with my car.

That said if you have an auto, the M/T Drag Radial is perfect. I don't know what it is but they work extremely well with Auto's.

What kind of air pressure were you running in them? I cut my best 60-ft time with 24lbs and a nice smokey burn out (through the water of course). I find a lot of guys drop them down to the 12-15lb range like a true slick and it works against them.

It didn't break loose at all on my first run (even with only one wheel going) with my Allen and 3.73's I'm putting out over 370lbs/ft of torque at the wheels. Surely that's more shock than a stock, or even heavy bolt on Mustang is putting out off the line....even one running a 5-speed. :shrug:

What kind of air pressure were you running in them? I cut my best 60-ft time with 24lbs and a nice smokey burn out (through the water of course). I find a lot of guys drop them down to the 12-15lb range like a true slick and it works against them.

It didn't break loose at all on my first run (even with only one wheel going) with my Allen and 3.73's I'm putting out over 370lbs/ft of torque at the wheels. Surely that's more shock than a stock, or even heavy bolt on Mustang is putting out off the line....even one running a 5-speed. :shrug:

Well, my TBird has more power and more gear than my mustang. The tire size I have run on the Mustang is the one I use for the TBird. The tire works well with the TBird.

The Mustang never hooked with them. I have tried 35 PSI to 5 PSI with no luck on them.

I decided to go with the M and H drag radials for my stang. The car really hooks up wth these plus i love the size... 275/50/17 which fill the wheel wells perfect. Gives it that old school look, which I love. Got the rubber discounted for $180.00 each direct from the M and H tire web site.

DSC01747.jpg

DSC01744.jpg

DSC01749.jpg

DSC01750.jpg
What size (width) rims are those ?
Live that tall tire. Be nice on my 65 fastback