• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

sputtering problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter 67pony
  • Start date Start date Apr 19, 2008
6

67pony

Founding Member
Jun 3, 2002
253
0
0
Canada
Apr 19, 2008
#1
  • Apr 19, 2008
  • #1
I have a 67 C code 2bbl 289 mustang... all stock with the exception of a pertonix to replace the points. Recently it had two sputtering problems. Once after about 40 minutes of highway driving I was idling around town at a slow speed and the car began to sputter. I had it feeling it was going to stall and it did, right in the middle of traffic. All attempts to restart didnt work. In the end, i went to the gas station thinking the car may have run out of gas... I poured a little gas in the carb and it fired right up (we did have lots of gas). It went home fine. Fast forward to today. I took it out after being stored away for the winter. Drove it for about 20 minutes around town... all is fine... I decide to get on the gas pedal a little, she revs up and then all of a sudden the power cuts, its still running but there is no throttle response, its definately feels like the car is not getting enough gas. I'm pretty sure its going to stall but it stays alive and seems to get back to normal... I feather the gas pedal home to make sure I am not calling a tow truck. When I get home I decide to take it around the block to see if it was just a "bad" gas thing. I pull out and she is idling ok, but as soon as i begin to gas it it starts sputtering, do a quick u-turn back home and she dies. I wait a few minutes and start her back up and sputter into the garage.

Thoughts? vapor lock? bad fuel pump? something out of tune? could it be a vacumn problem? Everything points to fuel.
 

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
1,260
3
39
Hagerstown, MD
Apr 20, 2008
#2
  • Apr 20, 2008
  • #2
Fuel filter. Sock in the tank's clogged or disentigrated. Screen at the carb inlet clogged. Tank is full of rust. Fuel pump. Clogged fuel line.
It sounds like it's running out of gas under demand.
 
6

67pony

Founding Member
Jun 3, 2002
253
0
0
Canada
Jun 28, 2009
#3
  • Jun 28, 2009
  • #3
seems to be still happening..Replaced the inline fuel filter from the pump to the carb, the previous one was a little dirty. interesting as it happens exactly 30-40 min after driving it. Happened yesterday... after letting it sit for 10 minutes, pour a little gas in the carb and she fired right up again. If it were the mechanical fuel pump, would it be more random... or be a complete failure. My neighbor thinks it might be my carb needing a rebuild. Thoughts? is that my next logical step? Is there something in the carb that might start to stick after 30 min of heat?
 

jcode68

Active Member
Jul 15, 2003
892
1
29
Massachussetts
Jun 28, 2009
#4
  • Jun 28, 2009
  • #4
Sounds to me like vapor lock. Do a search for "vapor lock" and you will get lots to read and troubleshoot with.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Coolant boiling in hose?
  • Teen'93stang5.0
  • Jun 3, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
276
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 8, 2026
Mustang5L5
2000 GT-Front Brakes Not Releasing
  • stormsedge
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
179
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 7, 2026
Bronco2fan
B
D
Running both lean and rich with O2 heat codes
  • Danceswithfire5
  • Aug 30, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
138
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Sep 5, 2026
apple99Mustangdude
A
C
1967 Mustang 5.0 swapped shuddering/sputtering issues
  • Cro67
  • Sep 24, 2025
  • Fox Engine Swaparoo
Replies
3
Views
303
Fox Engine Swaparoo Sep 25, 2025
General karthief
68 fuel gauge maxes out at half
  • connella08
  • Sep 5, 2025
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
10
Views
343
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sep 8, 2025
connella08
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?