Drivetrain Start up help...loud noise

• Sponsors (?)

Not a ton of confidence in a YouTube video diagnosis, but the starter and flywheel are not playing together like the friends they should be. Couple of times it sounded like the starter gear was hanging up.... like it wasn't being pulled back off the flywheel properly. Dunno though. At a minimum, the starter needs to be pulled and checked. But I'm seeing a tranny drop in your future.... I think the flywheel, index plate, bellhousing, bearing, retainer.... all need to be checked for condition and proper mounting.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
This doesn't help your issue, sorry, but one way to get the starter out thats better than normal is to remove the passenger side wheel,there is a good size hole in the body of the car that points directly to the starter that allows you to remove the cable attached to it and get to that godforsaken top bolt,the bottom is not too hard to get to from below,overall is a pain in the butt, i know, i always hated getting the starter out and having it dangle by that cable so at least removing the cable beforehand helps some.

I was having issues replacing a starter and found this out by accident,removing the wheel made it a lot easier to manage the job.

You say starter is new. Was the car making this noise so you put a new starter in and it is still making this noise? Or, did you put a new starter in and THEN it started making this noise? I am with the others, this sounds like the starter is toast.

Last edited:
You say starter is new. Was the car making this noise so you put a new starter in and it is still making this noise? Or, did you out a new starter in and THEN it started making this noise? I am with the others, this sounds like the starter is toast.
The starter fried while I was in the process of buying the car. Previous owner swapped for a "new" reman. Reman started making the same noise, but when I checked it out I found that the top starter bolt was only hand tight and the head was starting to strip. So I replaced the bolts and tightened l, still the same noise would occur. I removed that starter, had it tested at AutoZone, reinstalled with same new bolts and tightened. Same noise so I thought maybe it was a bad reman and bought and installed a brand new out of the box AC Delco which turned over ok for the first time (without starting) and then same results as the video shows.

I thought that maybe I had wrecked the gear on the starter on the reman, which was the other reason I threw a new one at it to no avail. I had also checked the flywheel teeth on each removal/reinstall.

Also, before replacing the reman I fried the solenoid and replaced that as well. So while I may be fry-ing the starter on these attempts, there is clearly a bigger issue.

This doesn't help your issue, sorry, but one way to get the starter out thats better than normal is to remove the passenger side wheel,there is a good size hole in the body of the car that points directly to the starter that allows you to remove the cable attached to it and get to that godforsaken top bolt,the bottom is not too hard to get to from below,overall is a pain in the butt, i know, i always hated getting the starter out and having it dangle by that cable so at least removing the cable beforehand helps some.

I was having issues replacing a starter and found this out by accident,removing the wheel made it a lot easier to manage the job.
Haha appreciate it anyway. I saw a instruction on LMR where they mentioned going through a spot on or around the k member but I unfortunately found it easiest with bunch of (3/8) extensions ending with a swivel....5 point only on the socket to try to avoid stripping as I've been the not so proud owner of enough of those to have learned to try to avoid creating them lol.

I have/ do remove the passenger side wheel regardless as I'm working in a driveway so any areas I can gain between the ground and car are a plus!

Is there any possibility of a starter/flywheel tooth mismatch?

I forget what tooth count difference is between manual and auto and I also do not remember if it makes a difference. :shrug:

Somebody will chime in.

That starter sounds like sh**. Also, what is that banging that sounds like you're drumming on a trash can when you let off the key? Has to be the bellhousing plate hitting/rubbing and/or a starter/flywheel tooth problem. Auto trans has 164 tooth flywheel and manual is 157 tooth, but I believe most starters will work with both. You definitely shouldn't have "shavings" under any circumstances.