Starting to piece together 5-lug conversion

Snikt89GT

Sep 6, 2006
Deland, Florida
I just ordered these items -- I'm suprised how cheap they are. A couple of years ago when I baught the 03 cobra setup it was 399. Now the plain one is 309$, I baught the slightly more expensive 10th anniversary set for 359$. Comes with stainless lines too. I've decided to go with 98 cobra wheels.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=330

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=591

This is a good start. What's the best place to find spindles/hubs and all of the other random parts besides a JY? The junk yards around here don't actually have anything useful.

• Sponsors (?)

Ebay or the classifieds on here or corral. That's where i got my parts from.

The 13" kits from buyfordracing are a good deal. I bought the plain ones for my GT for $310 and it comes with OEM brembos and stainless steel lines.

Some questions --

Do most of you guys replace the booster or use the stock? I know my bro's 93 has 03 cobra front and sn95 rear with the stock booster.

Also, what MC would I use with my future setup (03 cobra front, 9in drum rear).?

Do you all replace the balljoints with SN95 type or just use the spacer on stock balljoint?

25thmustang said:
To keep a good peal feel you should replace the booster, but it isnt necessary.

I think Im doing a spacer on mine, to save a little money.

I hear that, I started out wanting to go the whole way. Well since I have to do something with the balljoints I could get tubular a-arms with sn95 ball joints, since I have to replace axles I could get 31T + 31 differential, etc...

Then I started to add it up.

Now i'm trying to keep it relatively budget. I think these items were the majority of the expense other than the wheels/tires.

I just came up with this, does this look complete guys?

5 Lug Conversion
--------------------

Parts Needed

* = purchased/have

2x 1994-95 V6/GT Spindles -
2x 1994-95 V6/GT Hubs -
2x hub to spindle nut -
4x caliper to spindle bolt (N805163-S190) -
2x dust caps -
2x dust shields (F4ZZ-2K005A , F4ZZ-2K004A) -
2x .330" spacer for balljoint -
2x 2003 cobra calipers, SS lines, rotors + brackets - *
2x banjo bolts/washers - *
2x 5-lug 28T axles - *
2x 5-lug ranger drums - *
4x 98 Cobra Wheels + Tires -
20x lug / locking lug nuts -
1x rear end cover/stud girdle -
2x outer tie rod ends -

Misc ---

3 qts of 75W90 gear oil -
1 bottle of friction modifier -
bunch of brake fluid -

How many miles on the stock balljoints? Mine had 260,000 so I used the 94-95 balljoints. They're easy enough to press out and press in new ones, no need to change the A-arms.

I also kept the stock booster and added a 93 Cobra MC.. pedal feel is alittle on the hard side, but not bad.

Good Luck

mineralgsvt said:
How many miles on the stock balljoints? Mine had 260,000 so I used the 94-95 balljoints. They're easy enough to press out and press in new ones, no need to change the A-arms.

I also kept the stock booster and added a 93 Cobra MC.. pedal feel is alittle on the hard side, but not bad.

Good Luck

Car has 130k on it, no idea if they were replaced already or not.

Anyone know what type of MC I use with SN95 front brakes but rear drums? I think I can re-use the stock MC since i'm keeping rear drums. The 5-lug conversion website says this

"Keep in mind that master cylinder, 3-2 port conversion kit , and proportioning valve upgrades will also be needed if you got to rear disc! "

I'm not going to rear disc, so?

Yeah, if your keeping the drums, you CAN keep the stock M/C...but I'd seriously advise the rear disc. That pedal is gonna be ROCK hard and not work very well w/ the tiny M/C that you have now.

Af far as parts, I got my spindles from eBay and acutally found a good deal on a complete '95 v6 Axle for all of the shafts, bolts, brackets, etc....

I purchased the '93 Cobra brake booster (NOS), the 13" Brembo rotors for the front. and all 4 calipers (red anniversary cobra), from PPI

Lastly, I got the 2-3 M/C conversion & Stainless lines from Maximum Motorsports, & a '93 Cobra master cylinder from AutoZone (new, not a rebuild).

All the other little things (parking brake cables, manual porportioning valve, & PV plug) I got from Summit.

Its a big pain in the butt to set up the rear brakes properly, but when compared to drums...its worth it.

im pritty sure mine came off of a wrecked 95cobra... or a really sweet wrecked gt
StevesCARPIX1.jpg

Attachments

• StevesCARPIX1.jpg
    StevesCARPIX1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 74
Sure you don't want to do the rear Cobra disk too? Now is the time. You can use the axles from that kit you just bought if you buy the north race cars brackets, and sell off the drums.

Nice big rear disks will look sweet inside those wheels instead of ugly drums.

Mustang5L5 said:
Sure you don't want to do the rear Cobra disk too? Now is the time. You can use the axles from that kit you just bought if you buy the north race cars brackets, and sell off the drums.

Nice big rear disks will look sweet inside those wheels instead of ugly drums.

Yeah I know but I wanted to save a little money and not have to mess with the rear brakes. It's mostly for looks I think since the rear brakes don't do much anyway.

Where would I buy those brackets you mentioned?

Snikt89GT said:
It's mostly for looks I think since the rear brakes don't do much anyway.

Where would I buy those brackets you mentioned?

Having done the rear drum to Cobra rear disk swap myself....trust me it's not just for looks. If you have nice sticky wide tires on the rear, you can dial in more rear bias with the adjustable prop valve and that makes a huge difference :)

http://www.northracecars.com/catalog/brakes/brakes.htm

Snikt89GT said:
You're lucky your car already has all of that stuff done. It's a huge PITA, not cheap either

True, but honestly it was fun gathering all the parts together. I did it over a year so there was no rush and it spread the cost out. Plus i got some back selling off all my 4-lug stuff and wheels.

You can do it in steps if you would like. Do a rear drum setup, but install the SN95 MC and booster and install the adjustable prop valve.

Then later down the line if you choose you can add the disk setup onto your setup.