Steeda CAI w/ Xcal2 report

05V6inMD

Jun 24, 2005
Put the Steeda cai on. Pretty simple and straightforward as it used the existing tube from the airbox to manifold. Probably a 20 minute job - mostly because you have to put the rubber gasket on the SS shield that keeps the hot air away from the filter. After install, I went for a brief drive. As hoped and expected no question power is gained. No dyno to show, but it is enough to make the difference obvious. You don't leave wondering if you really do feel something...you do.

After the initial test drive, I hooked up the xcal2 and uploaded the 87 octane program supplied by Brenspeed (Brent also supplied two other prorams for higher grades). I am so glad that I made the jump and baught the tuner as the difference makes it a fundamentally different car to drive.

To put it simply, to my senses the Steeda cai added the power and the xcal2 took that power and refined it to be 100% usable. The xcal2 takes all the hesitation away and also refines the shift points so that the power is immediate and optimum where is should be through acceleration.

I was happy after the CAI went on. If I had not also purchased the xcal2, I suppose I would not have been dissapointed as I wouldn't know what I was missing. I am just glad I made the decision to go with both as they make the drivetrain more powerful and definitely more refined.

• Sponsors (?)

05V6inMD said:
Put the Steeda cai on. Pretty simple and straightforward as it used the existing tube from the airbox to manifold. Probably a 20 minute job - mostly because you have to put the rubber gasket on the SS shield that keeps the hot air away from the filter. After install, I went for a brief drive. As hoped and expected no question power is gained. No dyno to show, but it is enough to make the difference obvious. You don't leave wondering if you really do feel something...you do.

After the initial test drive, I hooked up the xcal2 and uploaded the 87 octane program supplied by Brenspeed (Brent also supplied two other prorams for higher grades). I am so glad that I made the jump and baught the tuner as the difference makes it a fundamentally different car to drive.

To put it simply, to my senses the Steeda cai added the power and the xcal2 took that power and refined it to be 100% usable. The xcal2 takes all the hesitation away and also refines the shift points so that the power is immediate and optimum where is should be through acceleration.

I was happy after the CAI went on. If I had not also purchased the xcal2, I suppose I would not have been dissapointed as I wouldn't know what I was missing. I am just glad I made the decision to go with both as they make the drivetrain more powerful and definitely more refined.

I did the same plus a Magnaflow and I love it. I'm using the 93 octane tune though. This is the way the car should come from the factory.

hamidlmt said:
Don't they make 87 octane tunes for the SCT? You can still benefit from the tune and CAI without spending more on gas!

From my initial post:

After the initial test drive, I hooked up the xcal2 and uploaded the 87 octane program supplied by Brenspeed (Brent also supplied two other programs for higher grades).

shooterm1 said:
With all due respect, I just cant see spending the additional $.20/$.25 per gallon for a few seconds off my 0-60.

dont get me wrong, I want the added horses, but I will just go about getting that in a different way.​

I'm not that worried about the extra money right now. I like to get the most power I can out of my engine. :banana:

shooterm1 said:
With all due respect, I just cant see spending the additional $.20/$.25 per gallon for a few seconds off my 0-60.

dont get me wrong, I want the added horses, but I will just go about getting that in a different way.​

wow.. I can shave seconds off my 0-60 by using premium???? LOL! Just teasing ya...

Zodiac said:
No, scrming... nothing can save your horrible driving... Its hopeless! :shrug:

:)

Yeah... Tell me about it!!! LOL! My tuner asked me what my car does at the track... I told him when they see me coming they hurry up and lock the gates! LOL!