Stock K Member Capabilities

patboy

Oct 22, 2006
Dallas TX
In the end, I hope to be putting around 650 ponies to the back wheels of the ol' stang. My question is how much abuse will the stock k - member take before something goes wrong up there? it's a 93 coupe, the chassis pretty stiff; 8 point roll bar and sub frame connectors. I realized it would probably be to my advantage just to switch it out (to a tubular k-member), but I really don't want to shell out the benjamins for it. Thinking I could stiffin the stock unit by welding some thick metal along most of it for support if i needed to. But im really wondering how much it will handle "as is" from the factory? I'm just going to be running 17" low profile tires on it, not drag slicks or anything. I'm not going to beaing taking to drag it probaby at all, but may get into some road course type racing some day. I will probably just end up getting the tubular k member in the end. If anyone has some testimonies about what a dramatic improvment it has made I would like to hear. I appreciate any input you have on the subject

• Sponsors (?)

The ONLY reasons I have ever heard of anyone getting a tubular k-member is to a) save weight and/or b) for better looks. The stock k-member is one beefy mofo. You'll tear apart motor mounts before anything happens to that k-member.

Some aftermarket k-member designs scare me because of how little material they are made of. I'll bet that 75% of aftermarket k-members are weaker than the stock one.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally i would avoid any K member advertised to "save weight". That may be a byproduct of the swap, but the main goals are better front end geometry, engine set back and lower height, and more room to work with headers and oil pans. If none of those are things that you really need to deal with, then there's really no reason to swap out the stock K.