Stock T5 gonna cut it?

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
question for you guys:

soon will have a mild 306 in the stang . hoping to get around 300rwhp out of it. the stock T5 has about 104k on it and to my knowledge, has never been rebuilt. it shifts smooth and rarely ever grinds but it does "whine" tho. ive serviced it several times (tried different fluids, etc). when i saved the fluid from the first change, it had very very little particles.

i can buy a 3550 tremec from a friend of mine with the bellhousing and the shifter with about 2000 miles on it for $1300.

my question is- how long would the stock T5 last on a mild 306? im not one to "rawhide" my car but when i do get in it, i dont want things to break. should i go with the tremec?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have had a T5 in my 310 rwhp 306 for 2 years, 1 summer of racing. I popped out of second and grinded into third before the motor and still does now. It is still in 1 piece and has not broken to date. Will be going on its second summer of racing soon. If you know how to drive it, it should stay together.

90LX306 said:
I have had a T5 in my 310 rwhp 306 for 2 years, 1 summer of racing. I popped out of second and grinded into third before the motor and still does now. It is still in 1 piece and has not broken to date. Will be going on its second summer of racing soon. If you know how to drive it, it should stay together.

so it will probably hold....its just a little iffy

I went through 3 t5's in my first 88 gt, it had gears ram air, all the normal bolt ons they would'nt hold 3rd gear. I swapped my current 91 from a aod to a stock t5 and stock clutch setup and second gear got to popping out and the clutch would hold the drag radials so I switched to the tremec 500tko, best move I ever did, I'm not scared of blowing it out at all when I really run it like I want to.

you got it, if i had the money i would have a g force t5 but i dont so the stocker will do till i blow it. I have a built trans in my DSM and it feels nice not having to worry about if it will hold the power. If u have the money, then id go for the more stout trans, if not, the T5 will work if you drive it right.

90LX306 said:
you got it, if i had the money i would have a g force t5 but i dont so the stocker will do till i blow it. I have a built trans in my DSM and it feels nice not having to worry about if it will hold the power. If u have the money, then id go for the more stout trans, if not, the T5 will work if you drive it right.

good points. guess its always better to be safe than sorry, if the funds is available that is.

thanks man

btw-

what could i sell my stock T5 for? whats it worth?

black92gt said:
With having a DSM, they always need a built transmission, no matter how much power they make. :rlaugh:

And that would be why its got a Stage 3 Shep trans now lol holds 4-600 horse.:D And to prove the point....... i miss my stang and i want to go back to it and make it better now, i have both, both are 12 sec street cars and id sell the dsm, not the stang. :flag: