Subframe connector installed but fuel lines

dropteeth

Apr 25, 2022
Ottawa
Hi guys,

Welded in my connectors but when I unhooked my lines to weld I forgot to position them back under the connectors. So now I'm stuck either disconnecting both ends of lines and trying to feed it back through (which doesn't makes sense) or cutting them and feeding them through and adapting them some how. Do you guys have any recommendations? And what would I use to repair?

• Sponsors (?)

Alright, mistakes happen, lets move on. Best would be to remove and reinstall. Second best would be to get a tubing cutter and find a place to cut the line, then using a new connector and a brake flair tool, make a union. Be warned, this is now a new place for the system to leak.

Just like your brakes, your fuel lines are an area where there should be no shortcuts....... Ever seen a car burn down? I watched a 67 chevelle fresh from a restoration start smoking from under the hood... We caught it, but a very scary moment... Fix it right... A new line is not very expensive..

Reactions: 1 user
Just like your brakes, your fuel lines are an area where there should be no shortcuts....... Ever seen a car burn down? I watched a 67 chevelle fresh from a restoration start smoking from under the hood... We caught it, but a very scary moment... Fix it right... A new line is not very expensive..
This is your best bet
Cut out your old lines and replace them with new from LMR.

This is your best bet
Cut out your old lines and replace them with new from LMR.

I think that still puts him in the same boat.

He would need to disconnect his current lines from both ends and then feed them thriough the SFC's and route them around everything. I've done this before and with the exhaust, and rear end in the car it's a major PITA.

I might be tempted here to convert to braided AN line from the tank back. I'd swap the fuel hanger to the AN style and go to town. Not the cheapest option however...

Reactions: 1 users
I think that still puts him in the same boat.

He would need to disconnect his current lines from both ends and then feed them thriough the SFC's and route them around everything. I've done this before and with the exhaust, and rear end in the car it's a major PITA.

I might be tempted here to convert to braided AN line from the tank back. I'd swap the fuel hanger to the AN style and go to town. Not the cheapest option however...
Could be, I may have misunderstood his post and that he unclipped the fuel lines, but then, with them out of position, welded the SFC in and now he cannot get them back to the oe location.

I thinkl that's what he did as well.

I don't think he needs new lines. I just think he needs to figure out a way to reroute them back. If they are disconnected from the engine side, i think the best way to feed them back through is to disconnect the gas tank side and feed them over the SFC in towards the middle and then make the turnto the rear of the car.

Not easy and a total PITA. I did gas lines once on my car. never again. Next time will be braided AN line

I thinkl that's what he did as well.

I don't think he needs new lines. I just think he needs to figure out a way to reroute them back. If they are disconnected from the engine side, i think the best way to feed them back through is to disconnect the gas tank side and feed them over the SFC in towards the middle and then make the turnto the rear of the car.

Not easy and a total PITA. I did gas lines once on my car. never again. Next time will be braided AN line
Gotcha. Thanks 5l5.

thanks.. how easy is the connection from the fuel rail to the tank? big job? would unhooking the original ones I have from both ends and feeding them through be worth it?
As noted by 5l5, yes, in my opinion. If you can get your car high enough off the ground so you have clearance to feed them through without binding or linking the lines. Totally stinks and is going to be a pita as stated but I'd do it if I were you to get them back into the oe locations.

Or consider the AN option. Maybe size them so they can support future mods? Good luck man

As noted by 5l5, yes, in my opinion. If you can get your car high enough off the ground so you have clearance to feed them through without binding or linking te lines. Totally stinks and is going to be a pita as stated but I'd do it if I were you to get them back into the oe locations.

Or consider the AN option. Maybe size them so they can support future mods? Good luck man
thanks guys appreciate it.

There has to be a cut, flare and couple option that’s safe. Brake lines are under much higher pressures.

(A brass compression fitting would be asking for disaster. Don’t try it, it makes a huge mess even if nothing ignites.)

I’m sure there is a union that would work, but need to know the ID/OD of the lines and then research a solution. I’m sure one exists. I Do similar pressurized line fittings up to 40k psi at work, so a 40 psi fuel line should be possible.

It’s just without the proper testing it’s not something I want to rattle off “try this” and then wipe my hands of.

These folks make a fuel line kit, in SS designed for subframe connectors with a Union. So there is a solution….albeit an expensive one

AAKCdO1.jpg

I had my lines off when I welded my subframes in. They were surface rusted so took the time to clean them up, and have them away from the welding heat.
To get them back in, I had to start feeding it while perpendicular to the side of the car.
Then a few twists and turns, and I got it back where it needed to be.
I do believe my exhaust and rear were all out of the car as well, so that may have been a factor in making it relatively easy.

Reactions: 1 users