supercharged 4.0 question

06s197

Apr 24, 2011
houston Tx
A question to all the s/c 4.0 . I have the 06 coupe model and I was curious did any of you that installed a s/c change your compression from the stock 9.7 : 1 to a 9.0 : 1 or running the 380 to 400 hp with that engine ? cause i was told that it would be wise to do that so you dont blow heads and how much boost are running to get that kind of hp ? Are you still using the 7.5 rear end that you built up ? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Xcharger Xtreme on my car - put the supercharger on with 90,000 on the engine and now have 167,000 miles; I pulled the nitrous that I had been running on the car when I put the Xcharger on. Still on the stock bottom and top on the engine, haven't changed anything on it. Runs strong still and took me to 12.6 this last fall.

I broke the 7.5 that I built up launching on drag radials and before nitrous or the supercharger - ended up it cost me more to build the 7.5 than the 8.8 swap cost me. Building the 7.5 was the worst modding decision I ever made.

Go with Jim's advice. I have a charge cooled vortech v2 at 16psi on mine, no issues, I also am the only one still using the 7.5 that can run 11's, although with a girdle, auburn diff, 4:10's and 3" wheel studs, it is best to go with the 8.8 swap, it will cost less in the long run.
smallboss.jpg

The 4.0 actually responds well to FI with the stock 9.7 compression. I run an X-Charger with stock internals and have 107,000 miles on it and 137,000 miles on the engine with no issues at all. There have been a few guys that went with lower compression and FI and actually lost power. If planning anything at all with the gears definitely just go 8.8.