T5 converted to a Tremec 3550... what do i need?

RyanSG

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2002
Allentown, Pa
Hey guys, been doin some searching around and i can get a decent deal on a tremec 3550 that was upgraded.... however i have a T5 in my car now, stock bell houseing and drive shaft on the car... What would i need to make the trans fit? I'm not sure if i'll have to get a different driveshaft or bell houseing shifter etc... I'm hopeing to jsut have it bolt up but i know it's not going to be that easy i'm sure.... Also will i have to change out the tranny mount 2? I haven't messed with trans stuff b4 and id rather know what i'm getting into b4 i get the trans and find out it was a waste of time lol... any info would be a great help guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure on the 3550

but the TKO 600 required new bellhousing and x-member
but stock length driveshaft worked fine with new yoke.

the x-member is available at 50resto.com and bolts right in place ($100)

the 3550 uses the stock DS yoke and clutch splines. you will need a tremec specific bell (t5 one wont work)

the crossmember needs wo be moved either forward or back. i forget which it is

The rear crossmemeber needs to have the tack welds on the end tubes ground off so that the crossmember can be moved towards the rear. Once everyting is bolted up, drive it to the mullfer or welding shop and have it re-welded.

The bellhousing is Tremec 3550/TKO specific unless you can find one of the old SROD 4 speed top loader bellhousings from an 84 or eariler Mustang.

Use the correct GM Syncromesh lubricant in your 3550, break in the rebuild gently for 500-600 miles. You'll have a fast shifting trans that you can't break unless you do dumb things like shift without a clutch or run it dry.

unfortunatly i'm wonderin about the 3550 not being enough trans behind the car... best pull to date so far was 511rwhp at 10psi and 547ft of tq.... wich will prob stay around there, but i'm shooten for about 550rwhp and staying under 600ftlbs..... I'm not sure if even and "upgraded from hanlon" 3550 will take that.. He was sayign around 500ftlbs it'll take.... although i'm over that already lol.... was hopen that i didn't have to step up to a tko600 but it looks like that may be what has to be done afterall... although i guess it's a once and done deal then to... what are you guys putten through your tremecs? (both the 3550 and tko600)????