Tfs Heads With Broken Spring

Sweetcaroline88GT

Apr 5, 2017
Hey guys,
I heard a loud tick that increased with engine speed, so I pulled the valve covers. I found an exhaust spring broken, so I will call trickflow tomorrow for proper identification. I know I have twisted wedge heads, probably 170s. My question is the car still ran ok (rough idle & slight performance issues) do any of you guys that have or have owned twisted wedge heads know if I can get away with just replacing that spring? Does it help at all that they are twisted wedge over conventional in that maybe no more damage was done? I believe these are double springs, not sure though. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20170409_115737.jpg
    20170409_115737.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 20170409_165035.jpg
    20170409_165035.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Sponsors (?)

What cam is in the car? A TFS replacement is probably fine for a stock or mild cam. Replace them with an LS style 1.3 spring if you are going to change all of them or have an aggressive cam. I'm using LS style lightweight 1.30" springs with titanium retainers on my TW 205's.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys for the input. I replaced all 16 springs with the TFS springs that came with my 170 twisted wedge heads. Unfortunately, I could not preload that same exhaust valve that the spring was found broken on. Only get about a quarter turn before I can't go any further. I checked the pushrod and it's straight, all other valves preloaded just fine so now I'm pulling the lower manifold and checking that lifter I believe is stuck. Hopefully my cam lobe is still good and I can get away with lifter replacement...I'll keep you guys informed.