the age old question.. how much Power!!

Pops Fun

10 Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
Here the eternal question.... How much power will it make..

As most of you know i blew up my blown 347
mad.gif
It wasn't built for a blower.. that was an add on
biggrin.gif
so it was a higher compression build Now:

The motor made about 520rwhp..... (stock block) now the only real change to the motor will be a dart block and dish pistons..
Less compression means less hp?? Or will the blower compensate? ??more room in the combustion chamber??

There are 2 things that I see could be done if there will be a significant drop....

1) The block could be safely bored to make it a 363ci instead of a 347 motor (think I would rather leave it a 347 and leave room for the next time
lol.gif
)

I could go with a custom grind cam and get rid of the steeda 19, it would still have to be relatively mild... the computer in the 94/95's are touchy. but could make up for a possible drop in HP

Thoughts and ideas!!

• Sponsors (?)

the lower compression will reduce power but will handle a lot more boost as previously stated. what kind of heads are you looking at.
This is what I had at 520rwhp, stock block broke along with the pistons... Ran an 11.69 with this combo

Stock 302 block, coming Dart shp
347ci Stroker
Shorty Header
TFS TW Heads (ported)
Steeda 19 Cam
Cobra Intake (ported)
SCT MAF
Power Pipe
Vortech, SQ
Ford 3.73 Gear
Flowmaster Exhaust
42# injectors
H&S 1.72 Roller Rockers
MSD 6al
Blaster coil
Walbro 255 LPH
T-rex inline fuel pump
RPS Clutch (Changing)
Aluminum Flywheel
TF Girdle
Eagle Forged crank
HPM uppers and lowers
Fluidyne Radiator
Sub frame connectors

I could go with a custom grind cam and get rid of the steeda 19, it would still have to be relatively mild...

Why :scratch:

the computer in the 94/95's are touchy. but could make up for a possible drop in HP

Thoughts and ideas!!

Steve I aked why above because you are gonna tune

The tune will take care of most cams you would run on the street ;)

Obviously ... The tune will make this quote a moot point :)

Grady

Why :scratch:

Steve I aked why above because you are gonna tune

The tune will take care of most cams you would run on the street ;)

Obviously ... The tune will make this quote a moot point :)

Grady

Ok my friend..... I always thought the 94/95 computer didn't like cams., :rolleyes: that was what I was told when I built mine. I will have to talk to my tuner!!!:) That opens up a lot of possibilities. :D

Any suggestions?? Going to do some research

Ok my friend..... I always thought the 94/95 computer didn't like cams., :rolleyes: that was what I was told when I built mine. I will have to talk to my tuner!!!:) That opens up a lot of possibilities. :D

Any suggestions?? Going to do some research

True ... Oh So True :nice:
but
That only applies when .............

One trys to cam a 94-95 and use a pcm that has not been optimized ;)

My findings and those who I respect in the self tuning community shows
you can run a cam that is pretty radical and make it behave just like a
little stocker does ... except ... it is gonna lope at idle

As for suggestions :shrug:
I took the easy way out and hired cam guru Ed Curtis :hail2:

Grady

hi
Running about 10lbs. boost with the stock pulley... was afraid to change pulley's because I had the max hp for the stock block!!

WOW! I'm not that familiar with vortechs, but is that a 3.33" pulley? The reason I'm asking is I have a turbo for my dart block 331, but I have the chance to pick up an S trim right now. I was thinking of putting it on with the stock size pulley with the hope of making 500-550 which it seems you did. My reasoning is the complexity of the turbo is far greater than the vortech, and I can pulley it to keep power low enough to safely run the stock tank, lines, and rails which I am afraid to do with the turbo.

Paul i know you have a thread going....

but can you not simply run less boost with a turbo? Unless you simply dont want the complexity of the install....i dont see how a blower is "easier" to run less HP than a turbo. Turning a knob is easier than swapping pullies! lol

The reason you want a lower compression ratio engine is to make more power. First of all, a blower cam is going to have less overlap, so that boost doesn't blow by, this is going to raise your dynamic compression slightly. Second of all, a centrifugal compressor compresses air a lot more efficiently than the reciprocating motion of the engine. So the more you compress the air by the supercharger, and the less you compress it by the piston, the engine will consume less total energy compressing air. The air/fuel mixture will also be cooler prior to ignition which will increase the energy release, and reduce the chances of detonation.

Kurt

WOW! I'm not that familiar with vortechs, but is that a 3.33" pulley? The reason I'm asking is I have a turbo for my dart block 331, but I have the chance to pick up an S trim right now. I was thinking of putting it on with the stock size pulley with the hope of making 500-550 which it seems you did. My reasoning is the complexity of the turbo is far greater than the vortech, and I can pulley it to keep power low enough to safely run the stock tank, lines, and rails which I am afraid to do with the turbo.

Hi Paul
Yes the stock pulley. I am running with 42# injectors, a 255lpg in tank and a t-Rex inline pump, no FMU.... although it is mounted. :) My son Tom runs about the same setup, a 95 vert. with an Dart iron eagle block, a 331, vortech sq, steeda cam, but uses 60# injectors and a fast system for about 580rwhp. He was maxed with 42# ers. The only difference is he has dished pistons for a blower!! (pretty sure about that will check) The difference I don't understand. I guess what I am saying is I don't think you will know exactly how it will work til you do it!! Perhaps go the way you want. Well I kind of rambled... hope it is understandable.
It will be interesting how mine turns out when done. turned the builder loose today, told him I wasn't in a hurry, by spring!! That is a lie I guess!!:D

The reason you want a lower compression ratio engine is to make more power. First of all, a blower cam is going to have less overlap, so that boost doesn't blow by, this is going to raise your dynamic compression slightly. Second of all, a centrifugal compressor compresses air a lot more efficiently than the reciprocating motion of the engine. So the more you compress the air by the supercharger, and the less you compress it by the piston, the engine will consume less total energy compressing air. The air/fuel mixture will also be cooler prior to ignition which will increase the energy release, and reduce the chances of detonation.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt!!

Hi Paul
Yes the stock pulley. I am running with 42# injectors, a 255lpg in tank and a t-Rex inline pump, no FMU.... although it is mounted. :) My son Tom runs about the same setup, a 95 vert. with an Dart iron eagle block, a 331, vortech sq, steeda cam, but uses 60# injectors and a fast system for about 580rwhp. He was maxed with 42# ers. The only difference is he has dished pistons for a blower!! (pretty sure about that will check) The difference I don't understand. I guess what I am saying is I don't think you will know exactly how it will work til you do it!! Perhaps go the way you want. Well I kind of rambled... hope it is understandable.
It will be interesting how mine turns out when done. turned the builder loose today, told him I wasn't in a hurry, by spring!! That is a lie I guess!!:D

Hi
I was wrong my son is running 62# injectors with upgraded fuel lines and the stock computer. He was running out of injector around 510 or so..
I am running 42# injectors with 520rwhp... only real difference in the engines is 331 vs 347 and the 331 has dished pistons.

Can't wait to see the HP after tuning... went with the steeda 19 cam... more money.. maybe in a couple years..
Also thought it would be interesting if the only thing changed were the pistons... Should be an interesting comparison.

Steve