the dreaded leaky fox sunroof

Final5pt0

Apr 18, 2005
ok my recently purchased 87GT has one of those leaky sunroofs:mad:
i actually havnt had it in the rain, but its apparent by the sagging unpleasant headliner and stained seats:notnice: ...since i know this is an all too common problem with these cars im going to ask you guys what i should do first before blowing money on seals, weatherstripping and headliners
so if you were me what first?

• Sponsors (?)

The seal around the glass does nothing to block the water, its there for wind blockage and aesthetic reasons. The seal on the body to glass is the one you want to check, also like someone else stated blow the drain holes out, they could be clogged. And last but not least take all the screws out of the latch and the 2 clips at the front and put silicone on them and put them back in. If your leak was here it will be gone now, if not i bet your drain channels are cracked.

Quick tip: Park your car on a grade when testing it. First try the rear higher than the front and pour water over the entire roof. If no leak, then you know two things - the front drain lines are okay and the two plasitc clips are okay. Then reverse direction of car and try again.

My driveway is on a grade. If I have the car backed in, the front clips leak when I wash it. If I pull it in, then no problems.

Ok first off remove your headliner. Make sure the 4 drain hoses are attached. Make sure they are not plugged up. With the headliner off pour a ton of water on the sunroof or use a hose and see where the leak is actually coming from. My experiences with it is that it is usually the yellow mounts for the sunroof (you will see them with the headliner removed) but sometime it is the hoses. If its the weatherstrip, replace it. If its the hose, unstop it or replace it. If it is the yellow mounts, unscrew them and scrape off the old gasket and then use some rtv gasket maker. Or you may even find out it could be the windshield leaking. Good luck.