The Dudestang - installed GT500 Steering Wheel

DudeStang

Nuts fell off while driving
5 Year Member
Apr 30, 2017
So I recently picked up the LTH over axle pipes for my 2014 GT. I chose these over the Borla because I figured the two piece design would be easier to install than the single piece design on the Borla.
463CC838-1844-4E92-B41D-008BBD610F1C.jpeg

I did notice the Borlas come with “high temp insulation tubes” and I read in a thread somewhere (can’t find it now of course) that changing from the OEM OTA pipes can put them closer to the fuel lines.
28E47EE4-9BF6-4157-A222-14C4C7E3C030.jpeg

To be on the safe side, I would like to add something similar on the new OTA pipes. Has anyone seen anything available individuallyfor sale? Or could I use something like an exhaust insulation wrap or something like this?
9C7B7B36-5977-4F8E-AF4B-A42EF0469275.jpeg

Thanks

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Yeah you can use any kind of wrap. My driver's side pipe is really close to the fuel tank after my header install (don't know why but the headers screwed up the alignment of the pipes) so I used some leftover header wrap on the section near the tank./
Thanks man. Yeah I picked up some header wrap from autozone. Going to see if I can make that work when I install the OTA pipes (hopefully Monday).

I found a few other threads where some folks had luck with header/exhaust wrap. I went ahead and used the stuff I had already bought…though I had to buy some hose clamps because the ones the wrap came with were too small.
A50BF639-0CC4-475B-903F-A3847B82256E.jpeg

It was pain but I got one side mostly done. Going to try and finish the rest of it tomorrow after work.

Driver side stock OTA compared to new one:
48563CCE-D941-42F6-ACB3-40D79F93041E.jpeg

177350EC-5278-45D0-8B46-90581E8704AE.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Finished up a couple of nights ago. Took it for a drive and it seemed like everything is fine. I do want to double check the various bolts and clamps in a day or two though, just to be on the safe side.
DC7B11A0-3E20-4F85-BDFF-B173338F2F78.jpeg

Pretty happy with the sound. It doesn’t sound significantly louder but it is a little louder and it’s got a little snap, crackle, pop on downshifts…which is something I miss about the Roush setup I used to have (don’t miss the drone though).

I finished editing my video of the install process on these:

View: https://youtu.be/Hk79aRDs2D0

It wasn't the worst install ever but a lift would have been nice.

I'm pretty happy with the sound overall. I need to get some better audio clips but I think it's pretty close to hitting that sweet spot between the aggressiveness of the Roush and the tameness of just the GT500 ABs.

Sort of turning this into an update/“build” thread I suppose - and following up from my other thread where my shifter bracket nuts fell off after driving the Tail of the Dragon…

Things I recently added to my 2014 GT that I should have added years ago:

1. the Blowfish Racing shifter bracket. I tried the Barton bracket, the Barton shifter & bracket, the Steeda shifter + Barton bracket, and the stock shifter with a weighted shift knob. So far this bracket with the stock shifter and weighted shift knob is the best combination I’ve had.
4B1E4C9C-D52E-4A68-B0BD-50E3D161B2FE.jpeg
398B201F-0BB1-48C6-AB65-0B97C9AD17AD.jpeg

2. the Ford Performance Track Cal. The additional torque, power, and improved throttle response are noticeable. The lopey cam idle is a little bit gimmicky but still pretty cool.
6997A423-B421-457D-8F5C-8180F5BB0F7D.jpeg

Made a video with a bit on the install process and first impressions

View: https://youtu.be/q4i2WxiQoEI

Last edited:
I recently had a new head unit installed on my Fox Mustang so now my 2014 Mustang is the only one of our three vehicles without Apple Car Play. I have been thinking about getting the Dynavin N7 Pro.

Anyone on here have any experience with this setup in their S197? Or any other suggestions for a setup that looks OEM-ish but has car play functionality?

Anyone else have these things pop out with any frequency? I think I’ve had to put one or both of these back in 4-5 times in the last couple of years.
7D408D5C-15DB-4D86-A806-7267A9F4B16E.jpeg

Putting them back in is annoyingly time consuming. Need to find some way to make them more secure without resorting to super glue.

The bumper insert issue inspired me to create my own version of a “5 things I hate/dislike about my car” video.

View: https://youtu.be/BqPcLbqBm28

I haven’t done anything new with this car recently but I am still trying to decide if I want to give that Dynavin N7 Pro a try. It’s the usual - torn between doing buying parts for the Fox or upgrading something on the 2014. Increasingly cold weather is making installs inside the vehicle more appealing versus things that involved rolling around on the cold garage floor.

After a couple of failed attempts, since I’m apparently dumb when it comes to extracting zipped files, I finally managed to install the Sync update and my Bluetooth is working again for the first time in a probably 2.5 years. :cool:

I think between functioning Bluetooth and maybe soon getting a steering wheel with some alcantara on it, I might convince myself to hold off on buying a new GT or Mach 1 for another year. :D

Finally found some time to install the GT500 steering wheel yesterday.
92705047-06C5-479A-ACAC-E8DF030AD9AE.jpeg
7CAA7460-4DAB-417D-AC5C-4E0333B5C81E.jpeg

Before
26525591-1198-40FF-BEDA-F106B7275586.jpeg

After
3D66764A-48EA-4BE2-B84E-E3D0390DE1D3.jpeg

Working on a video of the install process, which was a lot easier/quicker than I was expecting.

Finished editing the Vlog this afternoon. One of the increasingly rare windows of time to record the video and edit it, given the arrival of our baby a little over a month ago.

View: https://youtu.be/3PtZM_L06_o

Still trying to decide if I want to upgrade the stereo. I’m less inclined to update the head unit at least since the Bluetooth is working pretty smoothly these days.

Today in why you should read product descriptions more closely: Figured out that I was supposed to transfer one of the button panels from the steering wheel controls to the new steering wheel, so now the controls on the left side are different and don’t work the way they are supposed to.

Going to try and replace the wiring harness and left side buttons without removing the steering wheel, so I don’t have to buy another bolt. Fun times. :oops:

Another example of my failure to notice small details initially - today I was driving the GT and I noticed that the sun was reflecting significantly more from one side of the steering wheel than the other. Upon closer inspection, I realized that the inserts that came with the GT500 steering wheel are actually a darker shade than the ones on my stock GT wheel and less reflective of sunlight. When I got home, I took the missing piece from the GT500 steering wheel and sure enough, it’s different than the GT one I reused when I switched in the correct buttons.

It’s harder to see in the garage light but here’s a pic of the GT500 steering wheel insert in my hand, next to the OEM GT steering wheel, which still has two of the inserts.

8BDFC655-2727-470D-A83B-57263A99F38F.jpeg

Need to clean up the GT500 piece and add it back to the GT500 steering wheel so everything matches. :D