Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

Beautiful place. Save yourself some coin and invest in a zero turn. Doesn't have to be a 10k unit, one of the 3k ones will work. It will save you tons of time cutting that yard. Last summer i upgraded from a 42" lawn tractor to a 54" zero turn and the difference is amazing in the amount of time you cut off your mowing.

joe

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Beautiful place. Save yourself some coin and invest in a zero turn. Doesn't have to be a 10k unit, one of the 3k ones will work. It will save you tons of time cutting that yard. Last summer i upgraded from a 42" lawn tractor to a 54" zero turn and the difference is amazing in the amount of time you cut off your mowing.

joe

My brother did this same thing with his 2.5 acres and has said the same praise. Worth the time savings for sure. Especially if @hoopty5.0 ends up with another kiddo. He’ll need all the time he can get.

Reactions: 1 user
The place looks great! Moving is super stressful. I'm in the middle of it myself. My advice on a shop is to get what fits your needs. Bigger is better if money allows. Cost more to add on later. If you are putting in a lift or plan to in the future pick where you would want it and have them poor the concrete thicker where the supports would go for the lift. This is also a great time to have them poor a little extra pad outside the building for placement of an air compressor in the future. Hey the concrete truck is gonna be there anyway! If you think you're going to put a restroom in make sure to at least rough in the plumbing. Drop a spot for a shop sink drain. 200 amp breaker with a min of 20 slots more depending on building size. Dont skimp on the wire size. If you're a handy DIYer dont worry about running all the electrical do it yourself and save some cash.

joe
My brother did this same thing with his 2.5 acres and has said the same praise. Worth the time savings for sure. Especially if @hoopty5.0 ends up with another kiddo. He’ll need all the time he can get.

My buddy has a couple in his shop and I asked about them the other day. Said he’d sell one for a couple grand, but i need to do some research and figure out what it’s REALLY worth.

joe
lol, I have that problem right now, I have a box store JD 42", takes me a good 2 1/2 hours to do my lawn... I need one of those zero turns bad... I have an acer, I figure I would be able to cut my time down to less then an hour with a fast zero turn..

It cut my mowing time in half, not counting my trimming. 1 acre last week in 45 minutes. We have our yard divided by a fence, 12 trees, play set, trampoline, brick smoker and storage shed to work around.

Joe

I’ve been looking at these steel building on FB. 30x40 for $16k with a slab. Doesn’t sound terrible???

16K with a slab? Damn that's cheap. I'd be all over that.

I don't have the land for another building, so it would have to be a new garage built onto the house. I've gotten estimates in the $50k+ range including demo of the old one.

Last edited:
That price sounds reasonable for a metal building. In my area that would be for the building and slab only. You have to factor in the cost of the pad and the actual erection of the building. Electrical, roll up doors, lights, you name it is all additional cost. It's the route I'm going.

16K with a slab? Damn that's cheap. I'd be all over that.

I don't have the land for another building, so it would have to be a new garage built onto the house. I've gotten estimates in the $50k+ range including demo of the old one.

302822BE-B4B2-44C0-BC72-80F4665D72E9.png

That price sounds reasonable for a metal building. In my area that would be for the building and slab only. You have to factor in the cost of the pad and the actual erection of the building. Electrical, roll up doors, lights, you name it is all additional cost. It's the route I'm going.
Check out the ad i posted above. Seems like the way to go.

My wife told me tonight i need to get a bigger building than I think I’d need. I love her. LOL

• Winner
  • Happy
Reactions: 2 users