The Junk Pyle has moved forward, well sort of

• Sponsors (?)

General, you can save yourself alot of pain with a new rear in that truck??
1696163579058.png
:nono: As a former member used to say "no says the finger". That thing only has 80k miles, it was a service vehicle at an air base somewhere near Orlando. Yes I want to swap out the torque tube drive line but I doubt that will happen, hell I'd swap that body onto a more modern frame if I did anything major to it, but I'm a Ford guy so ain't happening.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
:nono: As a former member used to say "no says the finger". That thing only has 80k miles, it was a service vehicle at an air base somewhere near Orlando. Yes I want to swap out the torque tube drive line but I doubt that will happen, hell I'd swap that body onto a more modern frame if I did anything major to it, but I'm a Ford guy so ain't happening.
Thats a ford rear end...
I do understand your wanting to keep it original....
Had a 77 chev that I swapped a ford 9 inch in... best thing I did to that truck...
The availability of parts, better Ratio's, and service was way better than any of the stuff for the chevy 10 and 12 bolt.....

• Agree
Thats a ford rear end...
I do understand your wanting to keep it original....
Had a 77 chev that I swapped a ford 9 inch in... best thing I did to that truck...
The availability of parts, better Ratio's, and service was way better than any of the stuff for the chevy 10 and 12 bolt.....
yeah well the hp numbers don't justify and I ain't spend'n big money on this turd.
You have an electrical connection on it?
And we have a winner!!
It's fake, the wire is just stuck into a wire loom. Had to fill the hole with something.

• Haha
I never saw the logic of a 9-inch in a Fox unless racecar. You can make an 8.8 damn near bulletproof on a sub 3000 lb car. :shrug:

I mean, if you have one and need to scratch an itch, I get it that part.

• Agree
I never saw the logic of a 9-inch in a Fox unless racecar. You can make an 8.8 damn near bulletproof on a sub 3000 lb car. :shrug:

I mean, if you have one and need to scratch an itch, I get it that part.
9 inch rear end housings are produced to bolt into multiple cars by many different manufacturers which would modernize his truck and make life simpler to work and repair.. I do not believe I have seen any companies doing this with 8.8 housings? My suggestion was not for his mustang or for a high HP rating..
Check out Currie, Quick Performance, Speedway, and Dutchman.....
Pre internet, I could not find any parts for the rear end in my 77 chevy stepside. I purchased a bolt in 9 inch from Dutchman ( when they were still in Porltland, OR) and it made life way simpler for me....
DSCF0226.JPG

Last edited:
Well not much work on the Junk Pyle, cleaned a little more of the dog house, hung some wires back up on their new clips, noticed one rack boot all cracked and split :mad: scope creep. It's real!
At least Brand X drives better or I should say stops better, still wants to dip and dodge when hitting the brakes scare'n old women and children on the sidewalks. Might as well do some work on the front end, already has new king pins and steering link so time to change that bent tie rod, yup, one weeny little round bar with the old adjustable tie rod end is bent up in the middle :shrug:, ordered a new tie rod and newer style tie rod ends only the new parts don't screw together. Yes there is a right and left end so right and left threads but they are not playing well together, only parts listed on LMC site so talked to customer service and they are going to pull the same parts off the shelf and assemble them, if no problems they will send me the assembled link, one problem (knew there was gonna be one), the one end is on back order and gonna be 3 weeks :eek:.
So with that on hold I'll yank the engine outta the Pyle and swap clutch and oil pan gasket. Wish me luck.
Oh, got some pics I'll post tomorrow on the big screen.

Well not much work on the Junk Pyle, cleaned a little more of the dog house, hung some wires back up on their new clips, noticed one rack boot all cracked and split :mad: scope creep. It's real!
At least Brand X drives better or I should say stops better, still wants to dip and dodge when hitting the brakes scare'n old women and children on the sidewalks. Might as well do some work on the front end, already has new king pins and steering link so time to change that bent tie rod, yup, one weeny little round bar with the old adjustable tie rod end is bent up in the middle :shrug:, ordered a new tie rod and newer style tie rod ends only the new parts don't screw together. Yes there is a right and left end so right and left threads but they are not playing well together, only parts listed on LMC site so talked to customer service and they are going to pull the same parts off the shelf and assemble them, if no problems they will send me the assembled link, one problem (knew there was gonna be one), the one end is on back order and gonna be 3 weeks :eek:.
So with that on hold I'll yank the engine outta the Pyle and swap clutch and oil pan gasket. Wish me luck.
Oh, got some pics I'll post tomorrow on the big screen.
Any old proportioning valves for sale?

Well, here I am days later and no pics :nonono: let me summarize, I post on here from my kindle, the pics from the kindle are sh*t so I take them from my fone but I don't post from my fone so I toss them over to the 'big screen", now I have to log in yada yada, I don't use it very often so I figure 'just build a couple albums' so I just add to them on occasion. Sounds reasonably simple. I prolly could build them from my fone. The issue, keeping in mind I'm tech impaired, is I stick a few pics into a album and it says they are too big???
I'll be right back, dealing with tmobile and scam calls :nonono::runaway:

So I fussed around with tmobile, when I got the new fone they (kid behind the counter) didn't tell me I needed to load (download?) a scam shield on this fone. I mean 40 in one day? Come on!!
Anyway resolved.
Now pics in album, I went back, did the album over with no problems but now I gots two albums with the same stuff :doh: WTF! Got rid of one now.
I'll get it done. If I could only get my hands on some quaaludes :nonono:

Let's play catch-up:
I did some work to the rear of Brand X, not much different than an 8.8 or any of the Salisbury type axle, so it's done. No need for pics.
I went ahead and ordered tie rod and ends to replace an obviously bent tie rod, it's not really a direct bolt on, the ends are the newer style because parts for the old style are not available, I say parts because there is 5 pieces to the old style,
To make the swap to have to remove the ball stud from the arm that bolts to the spindle, a quick trip to the machine shop and that's done, cleaned and bolted back on.
A few measurements and first attempt to screw on an end and not happening :( I was careful to match the right and left threads, I even tried to spread one open a little, soooo, a call to LMC customer service and after explaining in detail the issue to two different reps the nice lady said they would pull the parts and check, assemble the parts and send me the stuff put together. Ok.
Not OK, two days later she called say'n one end is on back order so they will revisit this in about 3 weeks. What?? Well what could I do.

After thinking about it for the day I call them back, can you have your people pull the two parts you do have and see if the end will screw on then I can make a decision on what to do? She said 'sure, I'll call you back'.
A couple days later she called say'n the part screws on just fine, you just have to spread open the part and it screws on fine.
The threads inside the tie rod end are flat, not peaked like the thread on a nut or bolt so it's gonna take a lot of force to turn the rod for adjustment. I had asked her about the threads and was told the manufacturer told them that's the way they are made. RIGHT! Now I know where my headache came from. FALLING OFF THAT FUK'N TURNUP TRUCK!
This is Polk county. They make things work here so off to the machine shop I go. First stop no joy, didn't have a tap big enough but they pointed me to another not far away. I pull up and I've been here before, guy my age with a yard full of machinery older than he is. He didn't have a tap that size, it's a bastard size, he could order one but it's pricey and likely never to be used again. CRAP!!
He says 'sit down, let me try something'. I told him to go ahead if it don't work I'll just chuck this crap in your scrap pile and I'll start over. He put the tie rod in a lathe that was made in WWll and
20 minutes or so later he had it working as intended. :banana:
Since it was lunchtime I told him I was not in a hurry, call me when it's done.
Got the call, a little anti seize on the threads and it's together, did a tape measure toe adjustment, adjusted the brakes, wheels/tire back on and back on the ground with an appointment for final toe set on Friday AM and done!
I swear the more I work on this junk the better I like it and can appreciate how accessible components are while others seem complicated by todays standards. Like the engine, trans and rear axle .mounts because of the enclosed drive line. We'll get into that later, it leaks so at some point I have address it. For now it's much easier to stay between the lines when applying the binders and the steering doesn't feel like the wheel is attached to a wet noodle.
Now where did I park that engine hoist? I gots a 5.0 to pull. Wait, I gotta clean up this mess first. Then 5.0 stuff.

Reactions: 3 users
Well nearly three months later, the kitchen sink drains slow, the yard looks like sht and guess what? Shingles doesn't care (regulator TV commercial reference) and neither do I.
I'm gonna pull my engine out.
I expected a fight and I got some resistance from a forgotten bolt in the bell housing :nonono: but no real drama. No blood, no pain, very little cursing. Didn't even drip any fluids well, except from the lift cylinder on the hoist.
Of course I had help

Reactions: 3 users