The (near) Future is Not Electric

Habu135

5 Year Member
Jan 10, 2019
California
Despite what the market attempts to portray, pure electric vehicles make up less than 2% of new car sales. In other words, I'll be driving my 90s era pony car for decades to come.
Screenshot_20211115-183807_Gallery.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 12 users
  • Sponsors (?)

If I'm still kicking when they outlaw gas cars I'll just put dual elec.motors in my fox and rock on.

Reactions: 1 user
I keep thinking of that seen from Demolition Man when Stallone finds the 442 and no one but him knows how to drive it. That movie, in more ways than one, has a lot of parallels with present day.

I like EV's. I can see myself in a Lightning or something similar in the next 10 years. I have no problem with the technology. I have an electrical, and high-tech background and my entire career centers around exploring new tech and applying it in different ways. I won't abandon having a healthy V8 in the garage, but for my "regular" cars, i like high-tech. I've been even trying to convince the wife to go with a Mach-E but she likes her SUV for now.

I wouldn't be opposed to a motor retrofit project at some point down the road either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't know. I'm hesitant. If the state utility monopoly can "enter" your home at will and alter your heating and cooling, imagine the control they'll have over your mobility. Not trying to sound like George Orwell, but these are the slippery slope things I think about.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
If the state utility monopoly can "enter" your home at will and alter your heating and cooling,

Is that a state specific thing? Because I'm not sure I know what that's referring to here.

I'm on a few general car sites where folks barely know how to pop their hood, and there's still a number of "I'll never drive a car with a computer" folks there grumbling about being forced to drive a modern car with fuel injection at some point because of attrition of older, carbed vehicles they can purchase. There's always going to be hesitation to change.

If you have a smart thermostat in California provided to you by the single electricity utility company available (SoCal Edison), you consent through the Energy Saver Program to them adjusting your home's temperature based on peak hours/high demands. Many states have this.

• Angry
Personally, I would love a hybrid Mustang that makes 450-500 HP and gets 40-50 mpg but can also be driven for some distance on battery alone.

I haven’t driven a Mach-E yet but I’m interested in checking one out at some point. I liked the ones I’ve seen in person so far.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I wish the Mach-E was an actual mustang. I think that would have been awesome.
People would complain about that too (and will, when we eventually get Hybrid and electric Mustang coupes).

I think Ford had to do something transitionary that was both a hit with the masses and didn’t make the Mustang faithful revolt. Crossovers are what people are buying now. With an electric Mustang themed crossover, Ford will sell vehicles, secure new fans of the brand/sub-brand, probably convert some skeptics, and pave the way for more electric Mustang variations.

it’s a chicken before the egg thing. just like the adoption of dvd’s over vhs video tapes in the rental stores back in the day.
Originally a DVD player was a $500-$1000 thing. The Blockbusters of the world couldn’t justify the investment of rentable DVD titles because of the disc cost versus the tape cost either. As soon as the price of the players started to drop into the $250 range, and DVD titles started becoming available to purchase for $19-$14.95, things changed… DVD’s started to become much more rentable. Prices on the machines fell even more….to $199-$179-$149.00 eventually bottoming at 99.00. Then the things were everywhere, and conversely boxes of VHS tapes became the stuff you’d find at a garage sale.

Electric cars, good or bad are coming. And as soon as the infrastructure is out there to charge the batteries ( the blockbuster factor) the adoption of that form of propulsion will take off. What has to be done to reinforce the supply of electricity to charge the cars, and how they intend to deal with the recycling of the spent batteries is another conversation, but they’re coming.

The only guy(s) talking about how “ they’ll have to pry my ICE from my cold dead hands” are the ones that have never experienced a Tesla in Ludicrous mode. No endorsement meant for Tesla given here, as any electric vehicle is potentially capable of this, but that is an experience that can only be compared to an 8 second drag car launch on sticky assed drag slicks.
Only the Tesla does it on street tires.

And as soon as it becomes a viable conversion option for the 2j that’s in the Monster, that gasoline engine will be gone too.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Don’t forget it takes less people to build these cars and the car companies are talking about how they’re going to double their profit ..... let alone all the mining for the precious materials to make the batteries what will that do to the environment ..... they are pushing their agenda for profit ....

I can see myself in the future
I'll be that old guy holding up traffic with my rumbling V8 with a long gray ponytail with electric cars whirring silently past me so fast the can't see the grin on my face and saluting them with a single finger

Reactions: 4 users