The next "big" project for my Cobra

• Sponsors (?)

The inserts are to be delivered today.

Screenshot_20230327-083503__01.jpg

So I'm hunting for a V8 badge to replace the one that was lost from the passenger fender and come across 2 listings on eBay. Are these now made of gold? I think these sellers are smoking something for asking these prices....

And another listing on Marketplace.... :oops:

View: https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/146006915014180/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

p1975-78 Ford Mustang ll "V-8" Fender Emblems OEM # D5ZB-16C114-AA Vintage​

$125 · In stock
Listed in Newport News, VA

Details​

• Condition
    Used - like new
p1975-78 Ford Mustang ll "V-8" Fender Emblems OEM # D5ZB-16C114-AA Vintage

_nc_ohc=8EgxHDTjrR8AX-2J4Yx&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

The seller of the single badge sent an offered price of $60. I think it's STILL too high so I declined. :shrug:

I'm off work today and have been working on the car a little. I feel like I've been chasing my tail most of the day though. I pulled the dash insert off of the gauge bezel and attempted a repaint that wasn't working how I'd like. The passenger side turned out pretty good though.

IMG_20230328_103901.jpg
IMG_20230328_104935.jpg
IMG_20230328_121039.jpg

I've also attempted wiring the tach and ultimately found that the one that I'm trying to reuse is trash. I tried both adapters, then found that I had the KO power swapped with the trigger, so I changed that around and it still wouldn't work. So I grabbed the D4 tach and threw an adapter on it and it worked, although it wasn't reading correctly. So I guess I may be on the hunt for a replacement tach again....:(

And I took about a half hour and set the stereo up again. This is something that I made an insert for the glove box instead of cutting the dash as you can see in the pic above, but it has all the bells and whistles - bluetooth, phone connectivity, aux jack, USB input, CD player, and remote control. The remote control doesn't work anymore though - I swapped batteries and gave it a try today with no luck. Oh well..... :shrug:

Screenshot_20230328-132707.jpg
IMG_20230328_132656.jpg
IMG_20230328_132701.jpg

Here's a link to Pioneer's website with the specs if anyone's interested in a pretty good single DIN stereo for something older.

Last edited:
Something I mentioned a while back is that I had a rust hole appear in the passenger side rocker. Yesterday, over the course of running back and forth working on things, I noticed that the area of the door frame that the lower door bumper hits is also rusting enough that it's giving way. I think I noticed a crack in the surface a while ago but didn't think much of it - now I'm wondering how many more locations are going to give me problems in the future. I have a few spots under the car too, all near the forward spring perches in the rear floor boards. Back in 2001-2002 when I tore this car down and had it sand blasted, I used POR-15 on the underside of the car and the inside of the body, you'd think I wouldn't have some of these problems. :shrug: It really has me considering buying a new car to replace this one in the future. That way I could hopefully start with something in a little better shape as far as rust is concerned AND I could attempt to correct my missteps with this one.....

The inserts are to be delivered today.

Screenshot_20230327-083503__01.jpg

The seller of the single badge sent an offered price of $60. I think it's STILL too high so I declined. :shrug:
I have one. Won't probably be home for several weeks. Still fishing and skiing. If you can wait I'll ship it out to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Went ahead and ordered these seat covers for the 03 seats for a temporary fix....

These arrived today, one day ahead of schedule. Who says FedEx can't deliver once in a while?! Lol

I just finished getting them put on the seats. The only problem I really had was one of the head rest covers split about 2 inches at the seam of the elastic around the bottom. Otherwise I think they look pretty good all things considered! :)

IMG_20230329_191754.jpg
IMG_20230329_193129.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Got a few things done tonight after work. Ordered 2 sets of identical gas struts to use to either replace the hatch struts OR install hood struts. Apparently they weren't strong enough for the hatch, but it looks like they'll work for the hood. Unfortunately only 2 of the 4 brackets will work though, I had to order more of the one style and they won't be here til Monday. One strut will ALMOST keep the hood open by itself....

IMG_20230331_190559.jpg

Also received new pedal pads. This is something I've neglected for YEARS! I don't remember the last time there was one on the clutch pedal. :shrug:

IMG_20230331_190624.jpg

And I finally broke down and bought a canopy to work under to keep my lily white ass from burning in the Georgia sun until I can finally get this garage built.

IMG_20230331_192358.jpg

I think I can get away with just a cleaning AND I gotta do something about that tach. I've not decided whether or not I want to hook it back up and use it again or take it back out. Thinking I'll take it out since I want to find a useable replacement for the stock tach anyway.... :shrug:

But a good wash and polish is on the agenda for today after putting everything back together AND after this storm rolls through. Looks like the Midwest got hammered by it yesterday/last night.

This was real close to where I lived before moving to Georgia.

View: https://youtu.be/ioJRvAgQnZI

And these twin tornadoes are pictured pretty close to the two small towns where my mom and brother live.

FB_IMG_1680351028185.jpg

So far I hear nothing but rain, and the forecast says it should stop before noon. (Insert fingers crossed emoji here)

• Wow
Got most everything done today that needed done, but not quite. We gave the car a bath, washed the engine bay for the first time in a long time, cleaned it out, vacuumed, changed the oil, reassembled most of the dash, installed a battery tie down since the one I had went missing, made sure the wiring was as squared away as possible, installed new and proper lift cylinders for the hatch, and took a buffer to a few spots that REALLY needed it - and I had help for most of the day. She says I almost need constant supervision - I think I agree with her. ;)

IMG_20230401_193240.jpg

I'm not a fan of skinnies. :(

The front of that car would look 100%f better with full wheel wells IMO.

Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F10%2Fbf15-77mustang.jpg

P.S. and Side Note: We need to get into the practice of putting complete interior/exterior images of the [thread car] in the first post. I think the one above is a different body style? :shrug:

Anyway :D

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of skinnies. :(

The front of that car would look 100%f better with full wheel wells IMO.

Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F10%2Fbf15-77mustang.jpg

P.S. and Side Note: We need to get into the practice of putting complete interior/exterior images of the [thread car] in the first post. I think the one above is a different body style? :shrug:

Anyway :D

No, that's the same style, just has a King Cobra style air dam and wheel spats. And I'd guess that his front end sits at roughly a stock height. I lowered mine by cutting about a coil - coil and a half from the front springs. That recessed my front tires enough that I had to keep something of a stock width (175) in the front. If I'd have gone with a wheel that was wider I'd have run into clearance issues either at the fender or somewhere in the wheel well. As it sits now with 165/75-15s I had to bend a body seam 90 degrees otherwise the tire would rub there at a lock to lock turn. I suppose if I were to raise the front end back up I could go with a wider tire, but then I'd also probably want to reinstall a power rack and pinion and go down another rabbit hole....

Anyway, took it to the Caffeine and Octane show in Kennesaw today and I wasn't the only II in attendance! :banana:

IMG_20230402_075813.jpg

And I don't know if this will work, but my girlfriend shot a short video as we were leaving....

Reactions: 3 users
The brackets for the hood struts finally showed up today, so I went out and got them put in real quick. No more hood prop rod! :D

IMG_20230405_180727.jpg

Obviously, I'll hang onto it, struts are only good for so long....

But - if anyone is interested in doing the same, here are the pieces I ordered.

Amazon product ASIN B078SHN1YP
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SHN1YP?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_TMRYV4ZXS3C54F4CARR8&th=1
Amazon product ASIN B0B28SM541
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B28SM541?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_6J5NSYZRHD6FRNNEMQ96&th=1

The struts are the same length as the hatch struts (17 inches), and I went with 50 pounds for the hood. It's roughly double that for the hatch, I got the 97 pounders and they work well for that.

I measured roughly 4 (IIRC) inches out from the cowl for the one bracket, then measured an 1/8 inch beyond maximum extension of the struts for the second location, figuring it'd give me some wiggle room if I ended up installing the brackets a little short of my measurement. Otherwise I think it's pretty self explanatory. :)

Last edited:
  • Useful
I like those hood struts. May have to do that upgrade down the road.

May be worth it to look into corroseal. I like the product and it can work itself into seams. I used both por15 and corroseal on various parts when I did my car. I cannot complain about either but corroseal is better for surfaces you need to paint or will see. Much easier to use as well.

I mow about 5 acres of rough yard/field with a 2001 kubota. Lots of small limbs and some gravel where I mow. I clean it yearly and paint it with undercoating but it always wears off and then starts rusting where the paint flakes off. It had a lot of surface rust. I did not need to do any touch up this year. I treated my mower deck last year with corroseal. Then used undercoating like normal. This year it looks like I just applied it a couple mows ago. Not a spec of rust on the parts I treated and painted. The chassis of my car still looks great. Just use it per directions. Keep the area wet for several hours. Use it on a warm but not hot day and make sure it is dry outside. It cures with moisture so high humidity will make it dry before it can fully convert the rust. I paint whatever I am going to top coat it with the day I apply the corroseal. It helps the paint stick imo.

• Useful
As I mentioned earlier, the 14point7 Spartan 2 AF controller was damaged so I replaced it. My guage reads 10.0 almost constantly, with occassional blips at around 12.5-13 - which is what it was reading before I messed everything up. So I ordered a new Bosch 17025 O2 sensor as that's what they sell and recommend for the controller. They're out of stock until next week, so I had to order if from Amazon. :shrug: I also found that along with that damage, my speedometer cable sheathing was damaged which should (hopefully) explain the problem of my speedometer no longer working. I ordered one of those as well. As long as the weather cooperates and nothing else comes up, I should get a few more things checked off of the to do list this weekend....