Progress Thread The Northwoods Notch

First off let me say they are both loud but ( again imo ) the welded ultra flows seem to have a
more classic muscle car sound and definitely less drone.
With the violators I couldn't have a conversation with someone in the passengers seat from 2k-3500 rpm.
Keep in mind I ran the violators at first behind a 302 with a catted X , then behind my current 393w with off road X.
Wasn't happy with them on either set up .
I actually picked up a set of Jones max flows for cheap around this time last year, may try to install them over the
winter to compare.

• Sponsors (?)

First off let me say they are both loud but ( again imo ) the welded ultra flows seem to have a
more classic muscle car sound and definitely less drone.
With the violators I couldn't have a conversation with someone in the passengers seat from 2k-3500 rpm.
Keep in mind I ran the violators at first behind a 302 with a catted X , then behind my current 393w with off road X.
Wasn't happy with them on either set up .
I actually picked up a set of Jones max flows for cheap around this time last year, may try to install them over the
winter to compare.
Good info. Are the ultra flows dynomax?

I do have dumps. It is loud, but I don't mind it. Honestly, only the drone is loud/annoying.

Thanks for the recommendation on the ultra flos @Steel1 . I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm strongly considering them. Sounds awesome!

Reactions: 1 user
ALL loudmouths.I mean SLP.loudmouth.

Attachments

• IMG_20200417_165357_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20200417_165357_hdr.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 1 users
I have SLP Loudmouths behind a catted X. It is perfect IMO. It's loud at WOT but very mild at idle and when cruising. No drone and is almost silent cruising around town in 5th. It is a silky smooth sound. I will try to get a video in here for you. SLP has my vote

Totally agree w/ essn.Loudmouth .I've had flows and hated the drone.If I knew how to post a vid without it saying it's too dam big I would.

I always thought people were crazy when they thought flowmasters were too loud. I also always thought that I had flowmaster 40's. Turns out that I have had 50's all this time :doh: Well, that makes me happy about my decision about the mufflers I purchased. They're supposed to be here Wednesday, but it looks like they'll be delayed.

The Pypes tail pipes came in. They are two pieces. Set them in place under the car just to get an idea how they'd fit. I'll need new hanger insulators as this was just one I found in my toolbox and it's too long. I also plan on getting them back under the bumper more. Once the mufflers and flow tubes come in I'll have a better idea what I'm working with.
8754F870-3446-4B9E-9F8F-DB6EEEAFEA95.jpeg

Last edited:
I do have dumps. It is loud, but I don't mind it. Honestly, only the drone is loud/annoying.

Thanks for the recommendation on the ultra flos @Steel1 . I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm strongly considering them. Sounds awesome!
It wouldn’t be so bad if it was only you that didn’t mind how loud they are..

That's true. Loudness is subjective to opinion. Honestly, I don't think the 50 series are that loud though. However, I do know what you're saying. A few of my neighbors pin it by my house EVERY time they drive by.. numerous times a day. They must think that I like it but honestly, every duramax with a straight pipe has the same annoyingly loud sound to me. Oh and don't get me started on the other neighbor with the straight piped 5.4 f150. :uzi:

I like my Flowmaster 40s , but sometimes I wish they were a little bit less. When Im passing an old person on the right I know Im scaring the hell out of them. I like your tails. They dont look as big as Nickyb . Nice how they are finished all the way they look shinier than Flowmasters tails. Excellent car.

Got some color swatches from TMI and ACC. I am impressed with the acc. There's two crystal blue options, of which the darker option matches my carpet perfectly. (top)

BC40C185-88E2-4C06-AE90-62043CA1CD5C.jpeg

I ordered the wrong materials from TMI. Evidently my seats use their velor, not the cloth like I ordered. That said the Lapis blue cloth (left) matches the LMR crystal blue interior paint very well. The crystal blue cloth matches the old faded interior better, but Ill likely paint everything to freshen up. (The camera doesn't capture this well.) That said, I don't think the cloth will hold up well. It seems thin. I ordered a swatch of the blue velor to check that.
07B1DB7A-BC92-4665-AE6C-3A78B27D231A.jpeg

Onto the TMI vinyl. The interior kit comes with 968 blue, which I ordered for my map pockets and wasn't happy with (ended up painting them with LMR crystal blue. I ordered only 1 swatch of vinyl, academy blue, which I'm also not happy with. I ordered 5 more colors to see if those look any better.

04E9C48F-6955-4B71-8595-F20D20B2D8BB.jpeg

I'm not sure when I'll redo the interior. But I plan to in the future. I'm thinking I'll probably start with the carpet first. Interior's are a big investment and crystal blue has proved hard to match, likely because it was only a 3 year color. I'm mostly putting this in here in case somebody else is in the crystal blue boat and wants to refresh their interior.

B08CF651-5CF3-48E3-AC00-458D80CFB4C9.jpeg
A couple of these came in :D Got a great deal on eBay at 58$ each, shipped. Thanks for the recommendation @Steel1

The next couple weeks are busy, but I hope to find some time to get them installed, along with the new tail pipes.

Attachments

• A62106D2-6026-48E3-B4B1-AD83710760C4.jpeg
    A62106D2-6026-48E3-B4B1-AD83710760C4.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 70