The Reenmachine DOHC '67 Shelby Clone Convertible Progress

• Sponsors (?)

golf4283 said:
I hate you. :) Just kidding. That is the sweetest project on this board besides SN65. I can't wait to see that finished. A 67 Shelby convertible is a great idea and the IRS is looking pretty tastey. Congrats on having a great project.
Hi G,

Reen and myself are going to race for titles when complete. I better get that Ford racing twin screw supercharger on order ASAP. :D

OBTW, reen is doing just a fantastic job on this car. I really want to get our two cars together for at least one photo op.

Keep up the good work

SN65

SN65 said:
Hi G,

Reen and myself are going to race for titles when complete. I better get that Ford racing twin screw supercharger on order ASAP. :D

OBTW, reen is doing just a fantastic job on this car. I really want to get our two cars together for at least one photo op.

Keep up the good work

SN65
That would be killer to have some photos taken together. Side-by-side moving shot emphasizing that these are "go" cars, not just "show" cars. :nice:

Things are a bit slow this week as I've got a customer car here for a MII setup and perhaps a Cobra IRS. Gotta pay the bills! :p

bgs66 said:
Very nice work. Any updates?
Spent the last several days doing a MII setup in a customer's car. 13" 6-piston Wilwoods, QA1 coilovers, the works. It's pretty friggin' sweet. Next up on that car is a Cobra IRS followed by an '04 Cobra engine and 6-speed.

Anyway, I'll be back on the convertible this week. I got the parts to convert it to a return-style fuel system and to do most of the braking system, as well as boring stuff like the complete weatherstrip kit. I'm also itching to crack into the Painless chassis harness.

BB1966 said:
How about some pics of that MII set up you just did Reen???
Ask and ye shall receive:

The finished product:
cl67f_15.jpg

The 13" big brake kit fits nicely in the 17" wheels:
cl67f_14.jpg

He wanted long wheel studs and he got them :D:
cl67f_12.jpg

The brakes are monsters:
cl67f_13.jpg

Just had to show off the welds on the frame rail boxing plates:
cl67f_05.jpg

Attachments

• cl67f_15.jpg
    cl67f_15.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 192
  • cl67f_14.jpg
    cl67f_14.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 197
  • cl67f_12.jpg
    cl67f_12.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 215
  • cl67f_13.jpg
    cl67f_13.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 234
  • cl67f_05.jpg
    cl67f_05.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 204
Nice looking MII swaps.
I MII'd my '70 back in '99. It was a junkyard sourced set up, and worked well.
In '02' I redid it with parts from Street Rod Engineering. and now it works good, but looks better!
Mine has a completely custom built front subframe.
One issue is that with a 203 we all use the Fox body pan to get a rear sump, but even that pan has a sump up front to clear the oil pump.
I have placed mine as low as I could without moving it forward to much.
It seems to me that with a rear rack the Engine could go back and down a lot.
In order to do this we would neeed the right rack, and aproporiate spindles.
It looks like the Heidts superride rear steer would be teh perfect spindle for this.
Any coments?

samwe said:
It seems to me that with a rear rack the Engine could go back and down a lot.
In order to do this we would neeed the right rack, and aproporiate spindles.
It looks like the Heidts superride rear steer would be teh perfect spindle for this.
Any coments?
On my fastback, I put the original 289 back in for now with the Heidt's MII setup. I put on the rear sump pan and still was able to get the engine pretty much in the original position. I left about 3/8" clearance between the pan and the rack.

Interesting idea about the Superride setup with the rear rack. I looked at the pics and it may be doable. There'd be a bit more fab since it's not made to go in a Mustang, but so what. I'll ask them about it next time we speak.

I've been messing with the fuel system and electrical system mods to the DOHC engine. I'm converting it to a return-style fuel system and there is a bit of a fitment issue with the Aeromotive fuel rails (see pics). I can probably make it work by bending the mounting tabs but I'm going to talk to them tomorrow to see if I was shipped the wrong thing or something. Anybody use these, or any other aftermarket fuel rail on a DOHC that fit?

rails_misfit.jpg

rail_misfit_1.jpg

rail_misfit_2.jpg

rail_misfit_3.jpg

reenmachine said:
Interesting idea about the Superride setup with the rear rack. I looked at the pics and it may be doable. There'd be a bit more fab since it's not made to go in a Mustang, but so what. I'll ask them about it next time we speak.

Looking at the geomtry, I am almost positive I could just mount a correct rack, those spindles, and make new motor mounts. I see no reason to use the whole superride suspension. Heidts makes it sound like it is more than a MII, but look at the geometry, they just use different mounts. It is rear steer MII.

One thing I have found is that these hot rod companies aren't much for innovation. The can see somthing done once, and make some shiny implementations, but coming up with new ideas, that is rare.