Things to look at for Fox purchased

Black95GTS

Jan 8, 2004
Marlborough, MA
Folks,

I'm usually in the SN95 section as thats what my old stang was. I just got a line on an 89 Fox vert GT Premium that, from the pictures anyway, looks cherry. I know that the exhaust on the vehicle is brand new, and a new top was put on it less then two years ago. New paint and clutch were done 4 years ago. The CARFAX came back clean as a whistle. Tires are Cooper Cobras on aftermarket wheels with less then 10K miles on them.

The engine is totally stock down to the distributor boot. The car has 170,000 miles but I'm not too worried about that, as it will be getting a 347 and a G force T5 either this winter or the next.

Basically looking for any Fox, or vert, specific things I should pay attention too.

thanks in advance,

Adam

• Sponsors (?)

I just got done looking at a couple real piecers myself, but this is a post I made a little while ago, which I think holds true pretty well

I guess the biggest thing I could recommend is just to make sure it is a solid foundation. Check the areas underneath the doors, under the wing on the hatch (if it has one), the fender lips, and the rear quarters, and especially underneath the car for rust. Oh yea, the shock towers too. Just make sure you make a really careful inspection of everything. A good flashlight is a must to inspect some of the areas, as good lighting can show things you wouldn't see normally.

Also check out the alignment of the fenders to the doors and hood, and when you open the hood look at the radiator support areas for slight imperfections, as that can suggest the vehicle has been hit.

Check out the floorpans and the torque boxes too.

Since its a mass car....look form rust on the inside strut towers both under the hood and behind the front tires. Also look at the upper control arm mounts in the rear as well as fuel and brake lines in general

Rust under the rear seat legs, on the shock towers, torque box twisting-thats most of your bad spots- oh, bushings, check out your bushings for the dry rotting thing 20 year old rubber parts do, old brake hoses. And that spot on the firewall way down low behind the front fender splash guards. Shine a flashlight forward with the door open to see back in behind the fender down at the bottom, rust likes to hide back in there.:notnice: I hate being from the north, rust is everywhere!