Thinking of getting a Roller 351

Ok well this week im gonna head to the junk yard in search for a roller 351 to build then put in my 66 coupe, but where do you get a performance cam and valve train for this motor, and also is the distributor gear different like on a roller 5.0? Im kinda confused about how i go about building a 351 roller :shrug:

Just getting opinions before i trek out there and start ripping a motor that i really dont want out of vans(looks like a pain in the rear to get that out of a E-150 ect.

• Sponsors (?)

whne you find a roller cam 351w block, you use the same cam the roller cam 5.0's use as they interchange. pushrods are available from many different sources, as are lifters(also the same as 5.0's), rocker arms(again same as 5.0's). valves are also available as are springs. as for the dist, if you are going to use factory efi, then just use the dist that come with the engine you buy, if not then get an aftermarket dist for a 351w and spec that you need a steel gear as you are going to run a roller cam. i would get an msd pro billet dist myself.

Id like to get atleast 400hp at the crank probably use afr 185 heads and it will be carbed thats all im positive on right about now. If I go early block whats the latest casting i would want i know they used inferior metals in the late 70s...

Roller 351...ahh. Working on a similar build for my classic. Look for any 94-97 truck or van. they all had the F4 roller blocks in them. they may not have the roller cam and lifters installed, but they are drilled for the spider and dog bones. The also have the deeper lifter bore to run the roller rockers. These blocks have been run to 5oo rwhp easilt without problems.

they say the older blocks are stronger, but at the cost to run the retro fit lifters, cam, etc. it is much more economical to go the roller block route.

All the hipo parts for a 5.0L h.o. roller motor will work on a roller windsor. like someone already said, if you use a distributor other than the factory EFI, get the steel gear for a Billet roller cam. Summit is one of the few places you can get parts for your build.

After getting a late model roller 351 just remember you may have to change out the harmonic balancer or use the serpentine setup of the new engine. I ended up using 1990 5.0 brackets and the ac/ps 302 to 351 swap brackets sold at Summit.