throttle position sensor ?

toplessmustang

Aug 2, 2004
kentucky
i finally got my car running half right, the MAF was shot.now the problem is if im at a dead stand still and mash the gas to the floor it just takes off without spinning a tire. it just gradually picks up speed. i heard you can move the throttle position sensor a little by making the holes bigger and checking it with a volt meter. anyone heard of this ? and if so where is the sensor located and where do i use the volt meter on it.

• Sponsors (?)

i would pull the codes first. get an analog voltmeter and check the static setting. then crack the throttle open slowly and look for dead spots. then note the final voltage at WOT - should be around 5.0 volts (+/-10%).

good luck.

when i bought it, it was already messed up with check engine light on and no power. i just drove it cause i got a good deal on the car and i was to poor to fix it. anyway i put the MAF on it yesterday and the light doesnt come on now, i just thought it ought to have more take off. i've always owned z28'S or trans am's. maybe i'm just expecting to much out off a 302. i always said i'd never own a mustang (never say never) but i love this car and just trying to get it ready for the zex dry kit i'm fixing to get. i want to out run my neighbors 95 z28 so bad.

HairyCanary said:
I wouldn't expect a near stock AODE convertible to spin the tires, period. As it is, it's hard enough for a stock 5-speed GT to do it without dumping the clutch.

Unless you have gears. Then if you drop the clutch at 2500 rpm's, they LOVE to roast. :nonono:

Agree with above. A 3700lb car w/ an auto transmission is not the best platform for power to the wheels.

If you want to check the TPS anyway, you can probe the green (I think) wire & use the battery ground, and see if you see around .86-.99 volts w/ the throttle closed, and above 4.5V at WOT. If it's 5V or 0V, you have a problem. Check the haynes manual for the correct wire to probe.
Scott

Scott, i think you are right about the upper voltage - i posted 5 volts and it should be 4.5 volts +/-10%. thanks bud :nice: